Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mini Home Tour at Heart and Home

Hey there everyone! How's it going? I hope you've been having a good week and I'm glad you're back. I'm happy to be sharing with you today. If you missed Wednesday Gratitude, just scroll on down,
 and do try to join us next week. There's room for everyone!


I'm joining Show and Tell Friday, at Cindy's Romantic Home. If you've never been by to visit Cindy's blog it's something you must do, as soon as you're done here!
You'll be so glad you did,  Cindy always has so many beautiful things to share with us!
 There's also a home tour party going on at  Transforming Home , and I am excited to join! Come along as I take you on a partial tour of our home, starting in the entrance area, hitting the living room, kitchen, master bedroom, and master bath . Hang on to your hats, this will be quick!

First, this is the view from the front door entrance, looking to the right. This is the dining area with glass sliding doors to the rear deck.


Directly ahead and to the left are the stairs leading down to the lower level and bedrooms. ( I have been wanting to replace that oak stair railing since we moved in here 10 years ago.) 
To the right of the dining space, and down one step is the living room. This is what it looked like awhile back. There is a fireplace to the right with windows flanking it.
You can see that and the latest mantelscape here.
In this corner of the room, there are french doors which lead out to the dining deck. We use the deck most of the year. We've even sat out there during rainstorms to watch the sky!
 It's like an extra room and I love it! (if you want to see more, go here.)

On this side I have a big project pending: bookshelves, hurray! I've got to get busy and start painting as soon as the weather dries out for a little longer. I've also got a new chair for this spot, but it needs a slipcover which is another pending project. Do you have as many things on your to-do list as I always seem to?
 I feel like I never catch up!


Directly beyond the dining room is the kitchen. The entry is open to the living room. The door at the end of the counter leads to the outdoor dining deck.



To the right of the kitchen where you enter is the baking center,
with an extra sink, storage, and the pantry.


 To the left, on the island, is a second oven, shelves for cook books, and closed storage. The door on the left of this picture leads to the back deck. There are eleven doors in this house that lead to the outside!


The eating area is in a large popped out "bay window". There are windows on all three sides, with a view to the creek, and the redwood forest, and the valley beyond. I love it when the sun streams in these windows in the late mornings and afternoon. And I love the chandelier, which I found in an antique (junque!) shop.


This is the view of the kitchen from the eating area. You can see the entry area and the hall beyond through the opening to the left. The side hall leads to the family room, office/guest room, guest bath and laundry room. Directly beneath on the lower floor is where the girl's rooms and bathroom are located.


I keep my everyday dishes in a hutch, rather than cabinets. I bought this pine one about 30 years ago, at an unfinished furniture store. I never realized how much I would love this piece of furniture,
and how many different uses it would have in my homes!
The window over the farmhouse sink looks out to the back deck and the garden below.


Here's the other side of the kitchen island, with the cook top and warming drawer. I don't like cooking with my back to friends and family,  I love having the cook top in the middle of the room. This way, when I'm cooking I can take part in the fun, too!~

I chose carrera marble for the counter tops which I absolutely love. Everyone tried to talk me out of the marble because they said it would stain, scratch, and age over time. I think if it's good enough for century old homes in Europe, and Grand Central Station in New York City, it's good enough for my kitchen! I chose a maple butcher block top for the island, and yes, I do cut on it. The floor is Italian tumbled travertine. The paint is bright orange, yep, orange. Different for sure, and I love how it warms up the space. By now its almost become a neutral color in here!

Eventually we would like to replace all the carpet in the upstairs rooms with wood floors.
I would love to install wide-plank reclaimed heart pine. That's on my "someday" list!

Let's head downstairs for a tiny peek at the master bedroom.





Here's my favorite spot, where I can read or take a little "beauty rest". At least, I used to do that, before I started spending so much time on the computer blogging!

The alabaster lamp and the antique wicker chaise were found locally at one of my favorite vintage shops.

Okay, that's all! Now we're heading to the master bath.


From the bedroom/bathroom door is the view of my beautiful tub, in the master bath.
 The tub is in the same bay window space as the eating area directly above.
I still need to paint the rest of the windows and trim in here, and all over upstairs.
One of these days I will start on that. Maybe this spring?
                       
Looking back toward the bedroom, to the right are the sinks and storage cabinets. His and her sinks and cabinets, the only way to go if you ask me. It's the secret to matrimonial harmony!
 The windows look out to the lower back deck and the yard beyond.


To the left of the tub is the open shower, with all the shower heads.
There are eight of them!  We had visions of tropical rain forest showers, I guess.
It is fun to use them all at once, but you know what, I hardly ever do. This tile is limestone, and most of the floor is electrically heated, which makes it so nice in the mornings!


If you are interested in seeing more of the details of any of these rooms you can go here:

the Living room at Christmas
Or you can click on the pictures in my side bar!

Okay, that's it! I told you this would be a quick tour! 
I hope you enjoyed your visit. it's been fun showing you around.
Thanks so much for stopping by, I love having your company. I especially love hearing from you,
 so don't be a lurker - leave me a note!

Come back again soon. I've got some great projects ahead! Stay tuned.
Until next time,
XO
Heidi

For other home tours be sure to go to Transforming Home. Thanks for hosting, Danielle!
Thanks also to the lovely Cindy, at My Romantic Home, for Show and Tell Friday.

29 comments:

Mumzie said...

Gorgeous! I love your home and especially the marble in the kitchen and your bath tub is marvelous! Whow! Thanks for sharing. Mumzie

Cheri said...

Oh my goodness! You have such a beautiful light and airy home, with a pop of color in the kitchen! And now, that master bath......you have what I call a "human carwash" for a shower. As a former real estate agent, that shower could sell any home. WOW! Great job!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Hi Heidi, I love your open floor plan. Wow eleven doors to the outside. Love your kitchen, the floor tiles are gorgeous. Love the island, the farm sink I didn't get and wish I had. Great hutch. I love a furniture piece like that in the kitchen. No room in mine for one. Your bedroom and bathroom are beautiful,too. Love, love, love that tub. I want to rip our our tub with the surround and get one. My husband says when he is gone I can get that. hmmmmm!? Just kidding! I hate having a mess while renovations go on, but I think I could live with it for a while if he would just agree. Probably not happening. We have made so many changes since we built this house in 1995. My taste keeps changing. My husband keeps asking, "are you through, yet?" No, dear, probably not!!

Claudia said...

You have such a beautiful home, Heidi! I must admit I long for that much space - you are so lucky! You've done a beautiful job decorating your home and that kitchen is to die for!

xo
Claudia

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your home is just gorgeous. I love all of it, especially the kitchen. Just perfect. Hugs, Marty

Lei said...

Hi! I'm here from Danielle's home tour - You have a lovely home! I love your kitchen and the plates over your glass doors!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Good morning again Heidi, did you get my email address. If not I will send it again. I do appreciate your help with the link thing.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Also, I am following you. For some reason google will not take my picture for the follow part, but does for everything else. So I am one of those faceless people at the end.

Debbiedoos said...

WOWza your home is gorgeous!~ I love that color in the kitchen, everything is so well done!!~ Thanks for sharing....

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

What a gorgeous home! You have fantastic views - all that green - I'm jealous. I am completely in love with your kitchen, the dining deck, and that chandelier over the dining room table.
Thanks so much for linking up! I will remember to link up to your Wed Gratitude next week...

Danielle

Unknown said...

Oh my! hmmmnnnnn....your house is amazing. We have the same tile in our kitchen and all white cabinets. My favorite is your bathroom. What a glorious place to take a bath! It is much like my bathroom--claw foot tub and pedestal sinks, but ours is 125 years old!
Very, very beautiful Heidi.

Keetha Broyles said...

Gorgeous house!

I wouldn't be able to use the shower without a door - - - I just can't do it!

I've seen big, doorless showers in friends' homes, and I just can't IMAGINE.

But - - - if you enjoy it, then go right ahead.

I DO love your bathtub!

Tricia said...

Hi. I just stopped over from Transforming Home and wanted to say hello. Your home is beautiful. I love the mix of all the white and the wood tones. Thanks so much for sharing.

Kelley said...

Oh, my...I just love your kitchen, especially the island and the bath is to die for. Lovely home.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful home!! I love how open and airy it is. Thank you for sharing!

Jemsmom said...

You have a new follower! Your home is just beautiful and I am in love with your kitchen! It is one of the prettiest kitchens I have seen. That orange is fabulous and just makes it perfect! Can't wait to see more!

Cindy said...

Your home is gorgeous! I'm so happy to hear you like your carrera marble counter tops! I've always wanted those and you are so right, everyone always says that they aren't practical. I love your big sink too! Your master bathroom....what a dream!!! Love the tub!

vignette design said...

Your house is beautiful Heidi! I love your kitchen and your floor plan seems so open. I too have 11 outside doors! Most of them glass. Kinda scary when my husband is fishing! Your bathroom is my favorite though. That tub is what I wish I had instead of the clawfoot. Your shower is huge! Just a beautiful bathroom!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi Heidi!

Your home is just beautiful! Love your kitchen and well, that bathroom is to die for! Thank you so much for letting us peek inside!

have a wonderful day!

Hootin Anni said...

Beautiful home you have....it's just like a tour from a home and garden magazine.

TIGERS for my Show n Tell

Gypsy Heart said...

Can I come live with you? :-) Each time I see that shower I dream of being able to use one like that daily. Everything is so open and welcoming ~ thanks for sharing!

I forgot Wednesday ~ :-( I'll make a reminder for next week.

xoxo
Pat

Katie said...

LOVE YOUR YELLOW KITCHEN!!! Spring all year round there ;) lOvIn It!

Marianne said...

What a wonderful home you have! I can't get over the fact how light it is. And that tub is totally dreamy. Makes me want to go take a bubble bath. Ok I am of now, got to run me that bath.

The Whispering Creek House said...

love your master bathroom! thanks for sharing!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Your home is just YUMMY....I especially love the master bedroom and the marble countertops...I've been thinking of those for our little cottage too.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

WhisperWood Cottage said...

I looove all the doors and windows! Your kitchen is huge!! What a great workspace. I'm with you on the marble and the butcher block. You can't go wrong with carrera!! And that bathroom? Just move me into that sunny tub area!

KimMalk said...

I'll be right over to cook in that fabulous kitchen, followed by a bath in the master tub! You have such a welcoming home. --I'm stopping by from Danielle's.

Be Colorful Coastal said...

What a beautiful place to call home and I am in love with your kitchen wall color. Inspirational!

Anonymous said...

Hi...Im from Brasil..Sao Paulo city and I loved your home..its a wonderful place and always dream have a house like yours..congratulacions!I discovered your blog today and Im your fan..Your house is the most dream of all womens in the world!!!Ariane.