Sunday, August 29, 2010

Strawberries and Tea-Time at Heart and Home



Strawberries and Tea-Time



I have a lot more spare time available to me now that everyone is back in school.
It's a perfect opportunity to sit back with a friend and enjoy a cup of tea.




I've never been one of those people with gobs and gobs of girlfriends.
I've made only a few very special friends over the years.
I call it my "Circle of A-Listers".

Maybe I'm picky, or hard to please.
I know I'm reluctant to fill my life with idle chit-chat and less than meaningful conversations.
I'm not very good at small talk.
Actually, I really dislike it.
Being well versed in it is something that could probably come in useful to me every now and then.
I suppose there's an art to conducting small-talk really well.
And I'm learning to do it better, for when the need arises.

But, I like to spend my time with people who really matter to me, who know me, and allow me to get to know them.
I like us to talk about things that matter to both of us.
Doled out equally with things that make us laugh.




Over the years I've been lucky to form friendships with a small group of truly wonderful women with whom I share similar thoughts, taste and ideas.
Then there are the others, the women who are nothing at all like me.
I think I love them even more because of it!

All of these are women with big hearts, wisdom beyond their years, immense kindness, and the ability to offer support when it's needed, or a shoulder to cry on.
They are good for fun too, and enjoy an adventure every now and then.

These are true-blue friends, and it's not everyday that you find someone who will stick with you through thick and thin.


I cherish the people in my life with whom I can be honest, and share my heart-felt thoughts.
Even when those thoughts might not make a lot of sense, or are less than cheery.

I know my friends always try their best to understand me, and support me, and perhaps even point out the obvious to me, when I might have missed it.



I feel blessed to be able to express my greatest happiness and my deepest sadness with them.
I can just be myself with them, and I don't have to take out my "company manners" for our visits.
Even though I like to do just that, to make them feel special.

I''d love to be able to sit down for a visit with all the friends I've made over the years.
Wouldn't that be an interesting group?
I would want to include my youngest childhood buddies, and friends from high school with whom I've lost touch.
People who've come and gone in my life, and were special to me way back when.
New friends, who've just recently come into my life.
And all the dear friends I've been lucky to have known for a very long time.

Strawberries warm from the garden, and a fresh pot of tea await us.
We could sit together and linger in the afternoon hours that, for now, are mostly empty of demands.




For awhile, we could relax and share stories of how we spent our summers, and share the hopes and dreams of our lives for the coming fall.



Who would you invite to sit with you, if you could invite anyone from your past?

There is just the right amount of time for a heart-to-heart talk, without feeling rushed by the clock.

The school day has just begun and the afternoon is stretching out before us, open with possibilities...

Today is a gift, to be shared with a good friend, or two or three.




Good friends, good talk,  strawberries, and a pot of tea.

Until next time
XO
Heidi


and these fun Tea Parties at:

24 comments:

Jemsmom said...

What an absolutely lovely and inspiring post! I would have you over for tea any day!!!

vignette design said...

Hopefully, I would be on that list! I would love to sit with you for a cup of tea (or coffee!) and strawberries.
Such lovely pictures of strawberries! Did you get a new camera? xo Delores

Lemon Lane Studio said...

What a lovely post...You've reminded me how much I want to have my "A" listers over for lunch. I'll have to plan that soon. Have a wonderful tea. Patty

SmilingSally said...

A wise person once said that most of us have fewer true blue friends than we could count on one hand.

Happy Blue Monday, Heidi! Check out my book giveaway.

Ruth said...

Lovely photos, lovely words... I always love tea time and everything that goes with it!

Thank you for stopping by my garden.

Rebecca said...

Lovely table and the strawberries look great!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I'm drooling over your blue and white! I only have a few dear friends too. Many of them in Blog Land! We drink coffee together over the phone!
Brenda

Michaela said...

Love your post & your blog. Strawberries and tea are two of my favorite things. Your home is beautiful! Love that area of California also. I'm from the Bay Area (:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

There is nothing like a true blue friend!
What a better way to spend a day?

sharon said...

I just found your blog recently and truly enjoy it! I recently said to a good friend of mine that I am going to be very selective on who I spend my time with. Only my true friends who I walk away from feeling happy after time together! These type of friends are a gift to be treasured!

Sarah said...

Heidi, this is lovely. Thank you for having us to this beautiful setting. Those strawberries look amazing.
I'm happy to have found your sweet blog. ~ Sarah

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what a wonderful post. I love all the sentiment and love that it shares. Yes, getting a lot of old friends together would be fun wouldn't it. So glad you have time to visit and stay in touch now. Beautiful teascape, Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

Love your table scape! Love the bird!....I could totally go for a tea party :)

Kara @ Mine for the Making

Allison said...

This is a very lovely post, Heidi. Very sweet, heartfelt and meaningful. It gave me some food for thought. Gorgeous strawberries! Have a good week.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Beautiful photography! I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I understand what you are saying, about small talk, etc.

Katherine

bj said...

What a delightful post..I love every thing about it. Your photos are magazine worthy..really! Just beautiful.
Thanks so much for stopping by..I just signed up to follow and found out I do follow already. You have a beautiful blog...:)

KathyB. said...

Everything about this post is appealing to me, thank-you! The blue and white dishes, the musing on friends and it is very interesting to think about just whom I would like to share my tea time with, and reflect on the blessings I have received from those I KNOW i love to share a cup of tea with.

Marianne said...

Lovely post! Nothing beats friendship and no time better spent than having tea with good friends.

Marie said...

Strawberries and tea...how delightful! Love those linens, especially the blue and white. Nice to visit you Heidi.
-marie

Gypsy Heart said...

Very heartfelt post ~ and beautiful photos. Friends are so important to me, especially those really good friends or A-listers that accept you as you are. I don't have time or space for fake friends or those that place conditions on "friendship". Life is just way too short for all that!

Hope you have a wonderful week ~
xo
Pat

paperbutterfly said...

I am so pleased that you found your way to Teapots and Tea Things Tuesday. The pictures and wise words are are wonderful inspiration to all of us.
I choose my friends for the same reasons.
Looking forward to seeing you next week here.
Have a blessed week.
Pam

Carrie said...

Such a lovely post -- the inspiring text, beautiful photos of exquisite linens and lovely tea things -- all make for delightful reading!

Eden said...

Great post. Love all the blues especially the tea cup set.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Heidi...

So happy to see you, my friend...it has been awhile since we've visited! Ohh...and I'm so glad that I stopped by...I really enjoyed your post, dear lady! I understand exactly what you are talking about...my friends are truly a blessing to me! What would we do without our friends? You certainly have set a lovely tea table to share with them...and ohhh, your strawberries look sooo yummy! I really admire your beautiful table linens...that gorgeous blue embroidered tea cloth...as well as those gorgeous tea napkins!!! Sooo pretty, Heidi! Thank you for sharing your lovely tea table with us...this was such a treat, sweet lady!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design