Monday, May 10, 2010

Guest Bathroom Remodel at Heart and Home

Hey everyone! I've had a great time sharing walks along the water and other outings with you lately, (if you missed anything you can scroll down or go here and here and here).

I'm so thankful that you've stuck with me through my trials and tribulations with Blogger, which has been giving me headaches these past few weeks. I hope by the time you read this all of that will be behind me....

I realize it's been awhile since you've seen any kind of projects around here so I thought I'd get back at it!




Today I will show you the remodeled guest bath.

Remember, our house was built in 1979.

Hence the textured white tiles, installed with dark grout.  That was all the rage in the late 70's and 80's. Imagine that counter-top above honey stained oak cabinets, with striped wallpaper and a boat wallpaper border running just below the "popcorn" sprayed ceilings.

So unattractive.
Before we moved in I had all the cabinets and most of the other oak wood in the house painted white to freshen and update everything. It helped a lot, until we could make the final improvements to each room.

There is still  a lot more to do around here, but today I'm showing you what we did get done!

This is how the guest bath looked when we first moved in. (Before I started blogging I didn't take as many before pictures, so this is all I've got. You just have to trust me when I say this room was BAD.)

But we lived with it for awhile, and figured out what worked and what didn't.

Just about everything except the size of this room didn't work.



There was one sink on an extra long counter with a sort of dressing table area on one side, where the vintage suitcases are stacked up. (I still have those just not in here!) I replaced the builder's mirror that had originally covered this entire wall with a smaller one when we moved in, and it's the same one we're using in there now.

There was only one dinky light fixture and no tub or shower.


There was this lovely space on the other side.
Nice.


The bathroom was very large, but it was ugly and outdated.

We ripped everything out and started from scratch.

This is what we ended up with:







AFTER:
We added beadboard, tumbled travertine stone floors, warm paint,
a custom counter with a hammered copper apron,
and cast iron vessel sink


We relocated the new potty,
 and installed a stone tiled shower for our guests in the old toilet's enlarged space.

We improved the lighting with several options and dimmers on the switches.



The bathroom counter was custom made and has two concealed drawers in the front apron.

I hammered the copper myself.
It was a great way to get out my frustration, and I love how it looks.

I don't keep the copper polished, just let it do it's thing and it has a nice patina now.

Did I mention how much I love copper? I truly do!



Some details, up close:


The mirror frame:


The copper and iron counter with granite top:


Storage baskets beneath the counter contain extra towels.

Better than this:


Or this:

Don't you agree?

Finally, this room is done, with the addition of the roman shades I made not too long ago.

You can see more of those and get a step by step tutorial by clicking here.


That's it, the finished guest bath. It's new and fresh.
There is still plenty of room.
There is a shower and low-flow toilet.

We like it, and I don't even have the slightest urge to change anything in here yet.

Except for maybe the paint color which isn't really this dark in person,
( I'm leaning towards pale blue or some silver...)

and I did see a different vessel sink I really like...

But I won't go there....at least not for awhile!

Thanks for stopping by. Stay tuned for more ahead.
If it would just stop raining I'd get some of my other, pending projects painted and finished.

But until then I'll just be clicking away at the computer and visiting with you my blogging friends!
Leave me a comment and I'll drop by as soon as I can.
Click on Home or here to see my latest Wednesday Gratitude post, and take a walk on the beach with me!
Until next time,
XO
Heidi

This is being linked to :
and Remodelaholic meeting #19
Thank you ladies!





30 comments:

Stacey said...

Heidi, well first let me say that I'm glad your blog isnt' gone! For a day or two there I thought you left us. Blogger is quite confusing sometimes.

Your master bath is to die for now! I love that whole sink arrangement. What a beautiful combination with the copper and the granite. Love the beadboard too. Way to go!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

That after is really lovely! Great vision and I love the paint color! The copper really adds to it and so does the beadboard!
Beautiful!
Cindy

Jenny @ DIY Newlyweds said...

Wow, what a great transformation! The room looks beautiful. I especially love the very cool faucet you used.

vignette design said...

Yay Heidi! You figured it out. So glad you did too because this post is probably my favorite! What an incredible transformation. I love what you did with the sink area. Your idea of the copper apron and vessel sink is very original. The guest bathroom now is so beautiful. Please don't change a thing! Promise?

Andrea said...

Awesome remodel...WOW!! Love the bead board.
Blessings,
andrea

Blondie's Journal said...

I love everything about your bathroom redo!! Our lakehouse was built in the late 70's and we have the popcorn ceilings and had all of the outdated stuff as well. The bath was so similar to yours with everything done backwards!! I love your new shower and moving the toilet, and your sink and vanity are SO nice. You did a great transformation, Heidi. Now I have to go see how you made those Roman shades!

xoxo
Janie

Gypsy Heart said...

I love this! The shower is to die for ~ and I'm sure your guests love it too. The counter, copper, sink, mirror ~ all excellent!
Thanks so much for sharing ~

xoxo
Pat

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Heidi, your guest bath is gorgeous. Love that copper apron. So unique. Love how big and bright your room is. Great job transforming it.

Pinky said...

Where do I cal to make my reservation???:):) It doesn't even look like the same room! FABULOUS transformation!!! Love it all. XO, Pinky

Jessica said...

WOW. This is an amazing remodel job. It looks like a hotel! And the gilded frames are such a subtle and sophisticated add. Wow.

I had my bath remodel last summer, except I went the minimalist route. A lot of white fixtures and clean lines. During the process, I used Modern Bathroom with their fixtures (they don't just have modern products!).

I recommend other people to check them out as well! Their bath vanity section is HUGE too!

Kelly and Sara said...

Wow this is beautiful!!

Kelee Katillac said...

This looks great! Love the beadboard and color.

Anonymous said...

What a great job....

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day...

All the best,
Kathy :)

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

WOW~~~~!!!! I am in AWWW! I love it, you did a great job! I am your newest follower. I can't wait to read all your posts.
Bonnie

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I love your bathroom. It is great.

Sandy said...

Such a wonderful transformation.. love the little sink!
I so enjoy your blog!
Will be here each Wednesday to see what your up to!

http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL!
You have great taste. :)

Unknown said...

Your bath turned out great. It looks like a very nice hotel! :)

~Liz

Vintage Remixed said...

Hi Heidi, thanks for stopping by my blog this evening. Yes, the bathroom looks great!! What a huge difference.

Kathy said...

A great remodel! I know how it must make you smile!
Kathy

The Decorative Dreamer said...

I love everything as it is right now! I would'n't change a thing! It is absolutely stunning and so original. I have never seen a copper surround like yours. I love it! You have a designer quality upgrade for sure! Beautiful!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

the makeover turn out so pretty! job well done.. love it!

Olga Poltava said...

What an incredible job you've done, Heidi. Your remodeled guest bathroom looks fantastic.

Katie said...

Just found your blog, and I must say that copper is GORGEOUS!! Great job!!

Lenore said...

Now that is what I would call a spectacular redo!!!! It is fabulous....thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow, what an amazing transformation! My bathroom is in need of some love, thanks for the inspiration!

New follower!
-Ann Marie

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I'm in love with you copper/granite sink! Did you make it yourself? If so...will you be posting a tute? Gorgeous!

Lara Harris said...

Oh Wow! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi - I am definitely glad to find this. cool job!