Monday, February 22, 2010

Heart and Home Covers Up!

Howdy everyone! Hope you're having a great day, I'm so glad you decided to stop by for a visit today.




 Let me start by telling you how much I got done this weekend! Shortly after I posted my Gratitude post about technology, my computer zonked out. It made a loud pop as I was about to send an email, and boom, the screen went dark and that was the end of it. Now, it's sitting on the floor in the office, with it's innards removed, looking  like a leftover prop from some science fiction movie. My hubby and his brother Uncle D are trying to fix the problem. I'm borrowing the lap top that is generally reserved for Miss M. I am stumbling and tripping all over the place on this thing! But, because I didn't really have access to a reliable source of technology this weekend I managed to accomplish so much. I think from now on it might be a good idea to establish some sort of weekend moratorium on computer use . There's so much time in the day when you're not sitting in front of a monitor, blogging away the hours! I actually got to sit here and read for awhile:




Then, Hubby and I bonded as we filed our taxes. I told him it would probably only take us 45 minutes. It took us 45 minutes - and 4 hours! During breaks away from receipts and the IRS, I cleaned the house and did a bunch of laundry (fun). I baked two banana breads and a batch of oatmeal sugar cookies. I made a Sacagawea Native American costume for Miss M's class presentation. I got to watch a couple of tivoed  "What Not to Wear and "Say Yes to the Dress" shows with my girls.  And I prepared good, hearty meals for my loving family (well, we did have pizza on Saturday night!).  In addition to all that, I managed to start a project that's been on my to-do list since early January.

Do you remember this  green chair?




I bought it right after Christmas, and was eager to start using it in the living room. The color and pattern of the upholstery was all wrong, in my opinion, (see living room in photo above) so I decided to make a slipcover for it.


I purchased a pack of two fabric drop cloths at The Home Depot for around $9.00. What a deal for all that fabric. I laundered, bleached and dried it before I started cutting it into pieces.






I really had no idea what I was doing. I've sewn a lot beautiful dresses and costumes for my girls over the years, and many pillow covers, curtains, bedding etc. for my home. But I've never formally learned the rules because I've never had a sewing class. I'm just "self taught"!  Most often, I figure it out as I go. I just layed the fabric on the chair and cut a loose pattern and then stitched those pieces together.  This method has worked out okay, so far.







I started with the easy parts: the chair bottom T-shaped cushion, and the ottoman. Now comes the tricky part and I'm a little intimidated.  But I'm going to figure this out, and I'll share the results with you when I'm done!





If anyone has any pointers on how to create the curve in the rolled top, and the arms, I sure would love to hear from you! I'm not sure how to stitch the whole thing so the fabric doesn't just hang straight down from the arms. While I'm okay with a loose slipcover, I don't want one that's messy and looks like it's not fitted at all.


I'm going for a "shabby chic" look, with less of an emphasis on the shabby part.



At this point it's impossible to tell what will come of this! I adore the texture of the fabric, it's a bit like a rough linen, and the color is perfect - just what I had in mind. I plan on making some throw pillow slipcovers too, when I'm done with this. I've got leftover burlap from my table runner, and also more of this drop cloth fabric. I'm loving the idea of some tiny little ruffles somewhere.  I've got to get back to the sewing machine while I'm inspired!  So, that's all for now my blogger friends.

Thanks lots for stopping by, remember to leave me a comment and let me know you were here! I love hearing from you, and I really would love any advice you might have on the slipcover.

Until next time,
XO
Heidi

Remember Wednesday is Gratitude Day, I'd love for you to link in!
Today  I'm joining DIY day at ASPTL and Trash to Treasure Tues. at Reinvented. Thanks, Kimba and Kimm!

11 comments:

Julia said...

Hmmm. I have no idea about this stuff. Check out Miss Mustard See's Slipcover tutorial, which was lovely. So far it looks very good though. It seems the rounded edge could be completed if you cut lengthwise pieces to complete the backrest/ back of the chair if that makes sense...

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Heidi; Hey looks really good so far,,, you have done what I am so afraid to do,, you are my hero..... hmmmm I am going to Home Depot to buy me some drop cloths... can't wait to see it all done,,, and it is going to be beautiful,, you will do great,,,,, have fun...

Hugs;
Alaura

cjvierow said...

Heidi--you're doing good so far. If you just kind of follow the original pattern on the chair you should be ok. Check out Rhoda's Southern Hospitality blog (southernhospitalityblog.com) and watch her Grandmother slipcover a chair. It's funny and informative. Good Luck Heidi--you can do it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my good for you endeavoring this project!! I have several pieces that need slip covers- am a bit chicken to try it!

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

This looks great so far....you are so brave...I want to do slip covers & I've been dragging my feet. The drop cloth fabric is a great idea you can't go wrong for 9 bucks!! Can't wait to see how it comes out!!

Karyn @ Candarbry Garden said...

Heidi, I thought you might like to see this tutorial on how to do slipcovers. I found it last month. Great work so far! Karyn
http://muchtodowithnothing.blogspot.com/2009/11/you-can-make-this-slipcoverbefore-and.html

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Heidi, I don't have a clue, but it will look fabulous in that fabric. I made drapery panels out of the drop cloths and then I changed them out. They did work fine though and so cheap!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sorry about the computer problem. I am of no help on the slip cover. I have never been brave enough to attempt something like that.

Brenda Pruitt said...

I'm self-taught myself. And never could follow a pattern, so I had to make it up along the way. I would say put some elastic just below the arm for a fitted look. By the way, I so love that view of yours behind the couch!
Brenda

Gypsy Heart said...

You are doing great!! I wish I had a few suggestions for you but alas, I've wanted to slip cover an antique sofa for eons. I think I might try the drop cloths and if I make a mess, then not much is lost. I so admire you!

I understand about the computer problems too...just recently experienced that. Hopefully, yours will be up & running soon! It is amazing how much 'time' there is when the computer is not available. :-)

xoxo
Pat

Leigh said...

great idea about getting the canvas from home depot! You're doing really well! I recovered a chair very similar, and I pieced it together a lot like you are doing. I did cut out a little bit of a "facing" on the arms and sewed that to the back and sides with some cording smooshed in-between - does that make sense? Then you can get the tailored slip-cover look you're going for. You just have to pull it on a little tightly to get it over the rolled arms. argh.... I'm not explaining that well at all!