Monday, January 18, 2010

DIY and Trash to Treasures at Heart and Home

Howdy! Thanks for stopping by today. It's still kind of gloomy around here -outside it's very stormy and wet and cold. I spent the last few days hanging around the house, but didn't have much inspiration to do much! I've got some great projects lined up, but I need to take care of a few things before I can start working on them!

I did manage to sort of rearrange a few items around the house to make the place look a little more welcoming, after putting all the Christmas stuff away. First though, I took a couple of days and just looked at the empty spaces until I couldn't stand it any longer. I love to pare down, but all that emptiness was ridiculous!

To spruce things up, I decided to make a table runner with the left-over burlap I had from making tack boards a few years ago.

It was a simple project that took very little time.  First I gathered my materials: burlap, ribbon trim, thread and scissors:



I pulled a thread along where I wanted to cut a straight line:



I stitched three pieces together to make one long piece
( I sewed french seams so there would be no raw edges on the wrong side of the runner,
and to make a stronger seam.)






I stitched the wide grosgrain ribbon trim over the seams, and zigzag stitched along the long sides and the bottom edges.



 On the bottom, I pulled a thread about 1-1/2 inches from the edge, stitched over it with two lines of zig-zagging, and then pulled all the threads out below the stitching to form a fringed edge.





I'm still deciding whether or not to stencil a monogram in black ink onto the ends of the runner.



For now, here's the finished result:




I like the contrast of the textures between the crocheted piece I layered on top of the burlap,
and the colors of the fabric against the black table.




This was so easy, and made me feel like I'd accomplished something worthwhile this week - besides all the regular household chores I think it's nice to have something fun to work on, and something new to add a little pizazz to the decor!

I did it myself, for DIY Day and Trash to Treasure Tuesday, at Reinvented. Thanks Kimba and Kimm! Also linked to Shimmer and Tulle 's blog party, and Transformation Thursday - thanks Gina!

Thanks for visiting today, have a fun time, look around awhile and stop by again soon! Before I forget, check out the BlogFrog widget in my side bar! I thought I'd try it out, and I need your help. Sign up, and become a BlogFrog Friend! It's quick and easy, and will connect you, your blog, and Heart and Home to a bunch of really great blogs and  people with the same interests in home, design and family.

Until next time,
XO
Heidi

17 comments:

Miss Mustard Seed said...

What a great project! The ribbon really makes it for me. I also love the bird cage in the back. Thanks for the visit.

Unknown said...

That touch of ribbon really makes it look so pretty! Great tips - great project!

Heather said...

The black ribbon breaks it up and creates visual interest. Enjoying your blog. :)
-Heather @ www.saivngmoneylivinglife.blospot.com

Shannan Martin said...

Will we ever tire of burlap? I hope not! Looks great.

Delightful Dwelling said...

It looks great. I love the black ribbon on the seams. I think a mongram would add a nice touch too.

Angie Holden said...

That is so pretty!! I like the idea of a monogram.

Unknown said...

Oh how I love some grosgrain ribbon! It looks fabulous with the burlap. Thanks for linking up!

Gail said...

Oh how nice! I too like the contrast of textures and I also like the idea of a monogram. That would be the finishing touch.

Room to Inspire said...

Very simple and elegant at the same time! I really enjoy the addition of the ribbon - thanks for sharing.

Chelsea

Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful said...

Thanks for stopping by! I love the runner. My dining room is looking a little tired after taking down the christmas stuff too- this might be just what it needs!

Cottage Rose said...

Hello Heidi; Love Love Love your table runner,,, you did an amazing job on it.... have a great week.

Hug;s
Alaura

Mama Byrd said...

Gorgeous! I LOVE the fabric on your chairs! Thanks for stopping by

Amanda said...

Hi, Heidi! Thanks for stopping by earlier. I love your table runner! I've got plans for a burlap project or two myself. But mine will probably involve hot glue! Back in my life before kids, we drove out to Cali. Started at San Francisco & drove up to Richardson's Grove. It is absolutely gorgeous there! You're a lucky girl to call that area home!

Joyeful said...

Your table runner looks great! I really need to try this -- my table is in desperate need of a little "umph"! And the pictures of your home are just gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Looks fabulous, Heidi. Love the combination of the grosgrain ribbon against the burlap. Very chic!

Cheers!
Tina

~Isabel said...

Wow, that's beautiful! I really love the ribbon, too...i'm going to have to try to make one of these for our table.

Terrie @ Your Decorating Hotline said...

Wow - burlap seems to be THE fabric these days - I've seen lots of projects. It certainly is a great casual, textural and affordable fabric so I may give it a try.
I'll share your great project with my readers on my Tuesday DIY roundup.
Terrie