Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wednesday Gratitude #3 at Heart and Home


Hello everyone! Thanks so much for stopping by, I'm glad you did!  It's time once again for Wednesday Gratitude  and I hope you'll join in. Share with us what makes you smile and your heart sing.  To see more gratitude posts, you can go here and here. Make sure to leave me a comment, and to visit the blogs linked in today! MckLinky is waiting for you, below.



This is something I just learned about myself:
Recently I realized something has affected my life in such a positive way that I truly feel grateful for it. And I had fought against it for such a long time, it had become a kind of joke around here!  I've always been the last one in this house to embrace new technology. I am the one who didn't want or need a cell phone, who thought time spent on the computer was a waste of time, and who felt resentful whenever we purchased new home technology rather than use the money on something I considered far more important, like plants for the garden, or fabric for a furniture redo, or something pretty for the house.

I was the last one around here to learn how to use the computer, and then, when I did log on I needed to consult my handwritten notes before I could remembered how to make it work! I teased my husband for relying on the Internet for information and entertainment, and could not understand why anyone would want to spend their free time in front of a computer screen, when there are books and  movies and crafts to occupy us instead.




My husband's career is in high technology, and almost all of our friends are involved in it professionally in some way. We lived in and now near the Silicon Valley and new technology is buzzing all over the place. For a time even I worked for a computer manufacturer, although in a low-tech way designing and managing space planning for the manufacturing offices. But still, I was a  proud technophobe!


Let me say, things have changed dramatically in the last seven months! I started Heart and Home after accidentally stumbling across some great blogs out there in cyberspace and thinking " maybe I can do this". I've worked hard  learning computer skills and putting them to work.  I even learned how to design a button for my blog! I felt very accomplished after that!


I'm proud that I did it all, mostly by myself, and I feel I've been successful! But most of all,  I feel very fortunate to have met you, my wonderful blogger friends. I am able to share your accomplishments, your thoughts, a little of your lives, and to share a little bit of mine as well. I really enjoy getting to know all of you!. I am so blessed to have found the blogging community and feel your warmth,  your support, and your encouragement. I'm so inspired by all of you, and your creative talents. I am very thankful, because creating Heart and Home helped get me through a few bumps in my life, and helped me to see outside my own problems, get a new perspective, and broaden my horizons.


Recently, the Internet became a tool which helped reconnect me with some of my family. I grew up without many relatives, all of my mother's family was living in East Germany during the cold war, and my father didn't really have much family to speak of. We were pretty much alone, and as I grew up it became difficult to maintain contact with distant relatives of mine living in Germany.

Just last week I received the email address of my 3rd cousin, who lives in Coburg. I was a little nervous, but I wrote her a long email, attached some pictures, pushed send, and wondered if I would hear from her. I received a response the very next day!  She too, sent pictures, and told me how happy she was that I had communicated with her. Her note moved me to tears, and connected me with someone very special. I am so grateful for the technology that allowed that to happen! I am thrilled to have reconnected with family in Germany, and to have the ability to share with them whenever I want! 

Is it strange to be grateful for the Internet and my computer? I don't think so! Not since it has brought such blessings into my life: all of you my blogging friends, and my family far away across the ocean.
I'm so glad I learned how to use the computer!

Until next time,
XO
Heidi

I'm linking  to What I learned This Week, at  Musings of a Housewife.
And also to Rednesday, at It's a Very Cherry World. Thanks Sue!

14 comments:

Cindy said...

What a great post Heidi! It's so true, the internet has brought so many people together. I feel like I have friends all over the world now! It's so amazing! What did we ever do without it!

Nancy said...

Heidi: I'm working on my post to link right now. It is similar. Blogging is my lifeline to the world off "the island".

Jeanette said...

You are so right, the internet has made the world smaller and I have made so many new friends. (I even met my husband of 13 years on the internet!)

SueLovesCherries said...

I'm so glad you shared this! It's amazing what you can do once you put your mind to it! Beautiful flowers, too!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

You sound just like me with the computer and all the new technology that abounds around us. I have only been able to look at my emails and shop on line until a few months ago. I had wanted to start a blog for a long time, but did not know enough about the computer to even begin. I had my daughter help me get started, but now she can't answer some questions I still have. Just yesterday I finally figured out my researching and googling how to post pics from other sites like Country Living or House Beautiful to my blog. I kept seeing pretty pics on other blogs, but did not know how. I was thrilled when on my own I finally got it!! My husband says I know more than he does now. I still have to learn the link thing to learn so I can say go here and it be the link to something. Or to just type the blog name and it be linked without the www and .com part attached. I will figure it out. Thanks for the invite to the party. Maybe next week I will link.

Katie said...

Heidi, Great Post! In my home we joke that I'm a "Techno Retard", it's hard to embrace at times! I had meant to leave a comment when I visited your blog yesterday from ???? I don't know where from, but got distracted. You have a great blog & will be returning frequently, isn't blogging a bit therapeutic!!

Sunshine is what I'm showing MUCH Gratitude for today! We don't see much of it up here in WA, & today it's shining brightly!!

Thanks for dropping in on me today, hope to see you again!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Heidi, that is so sweet of you. My email is
kimnichols45@hotmail.com. I hope it is easy. I have to keep practicing all these new things before I forget how to do them. lol

Thanks,

Kim

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I agree, the internet can be a great tool for connecting with friends & relatives you wouldn't normally be in touch with. And the blogging community is wonderful! I've only been a blogger for about 3 months now, and I can hardly keep up with all the inspiration I'm finding!

★Carol★ said...

I was also the last one in the house to embrace technology! I'm a country girl, and I like to keep things simple! I am now so attached to my laptop that I don't know what I'd do without it. I'm coming up to my one year blogiversary, and I don't know what I'd do without blogging either!
Happy REDnesday!
Carol

GwendolynKay said...

I can so relate. Many years ago..hubby wanted to have a home computer... I told him they were evil... ha! Once we got one.. I never got off. I was reluctant to get a cell phone too. But now that's all we have , cancelled our land line. But still.... that is about as hi tech as I get ... I do have a digital camera and a sansa... but no more for me.. I want everything easy and simple. I love all your beautiful flowers you have shared. so vibrant.
Blessings!
Gwen

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What a lovely post! I'm so glad you learned all your technology so we can appreciate what you have to share.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Heidi, I can relate also as I was terrified of the computer after my son and DIL gave me their old one. It took me a bit of getting used to, but becoming our church secretary, I did manage little by little to learn. {I'm still learning, very slowly.} Your flowers are simply lovely; love the red! Happy REDnesday!

Blessings,
Sandi

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Thanks Heidi, I appreciate it. No hurry!

April said...

I love your blog and all those glorious pictures of the flowers! Makes me wish for spring here in western NY!