Sunday, October 25, 2009

Master Bath Remodel at Heart and Home


Hi everyone!  Thanks so much for stopping by. Today I'm a double threat, joining in at Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch,  and DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land.  Each one a wonderful, fun and inspiring place to visit! Thank you Susan and Kimba for hosting us on Monday and Tuesday!


In August when I was just starting out blogging Heart and Home, I posted a few pictures of our master bathroom remodel. I decided to post them again, since no one saw them the first time around! This is a brand new, improved post where I've added additional pictures, new descriptions, and pictures of the BEFORE (scary!) which I rediscovered carefully filed away in our home-remodel photo album. They"ll give you a good idea of why I'm so pleased with the AFTER!!

BEFORE:  This is the bathroom with the 2 1/2' square shower stall, and the 5' tub and shaky toilet:




BEFORE:  This was a weird wall that had openings on both sides but no doors, sinks on one side, bedroom wall on the other. This was a common design feature in homes built during the 70's. I never liked it, but I think the idea was to create a sort of " master suite" area: ( one of the faucets didn't work, and the drawers stuck all the time.)


BEFORE:  Below on the left is the bathroom area, on the right is what passed for the walk-in closet. Fine for someone about 90 lbs, and very tall to reach those upper shelves (that's so not me!!). There was very little storage and no room to turn around:





We worked very hard on the design to incorporate all the things on our wish list, and to make best use of the space.
AFTER:  Here's how the bathroom turned out. (You can see that I'm not done yet. Still have trim painting to do. That darned project has totally intimidated me. I've just got to get started and do it!)

 We created  this room by knocking out the existing walls and turning three little rooms into one big space. We were able to get additional space by digging under the house to make a room for our closet (which is not shown, but it's a room all by itself off of the bedroom- I love it!!), and by adding the pop-out bay window area, which is where the tub sits. (The bay continues upstairs in the kitchen, where the table and chairs are, which you can see more of here.)  I love the color of the walls in here:  "Atlantic" by Martha Stewart, it's very soothing. The floor is limestone, and most of it is heated by the NuHeat system which is a very thin electrical mat laid under the tile before installation. It's so cozy to step onto a warm floor, especially in the winter.

Mr. H&H insisted on a large "man-sized" shower space.  It wound up being a bit larger than 8' x 5' - (big enough for the whole family at one time, plus our pets, friends and neighbors! ; )



 To trim the beadboard wainscoting, I chose these iridescent mosaic tiles  (Bizazza tile, Italy)because they reminded me of sea glass, which is one of my favorite things in the world. (You can see more of that here.) I wanted to finish the entire shower with those tiles, until I saw the price.  I'm very happy to have them as trim....

I picked the wall paint color to compliment the glass tiles.  I did manage to get some of the window trim painted! I wanted the windows and mirrors to flow together, so you couldn't tell where one ended and the other started. We have such a beautiful, private view of our back yard and the redwood trees (go see!) out these windows.




Sinks are "Happy D" by Duravit,  faucets "Tara" by Dornbracht.  Their clean, contemporary lines compliment the more traditional elements in the room. I wanted to mix it up a little, and still maintain the ranch style of this house. I'm more comfortable with an eclectic look, rather that having everything match exactly.




This is my giant-sized space: the tub. It's big enough for two!! It's the one big splurge in this room and I thought I'd be lounging in it every night, treating myself to beauty baths and luxuriating in bubbles. It takes awhile to fill up, and uses a lot of hot water.  Once it's full it's quite lovely to sit in there and poach a little. It took 4 burly guys  to carry the tub into the house - very heavy cast iron. So, when the hot water goes in it stays hot for a long time. The view from these windows is mostly private, and pretty spectacular, too.

I'm still figuring out exactly what to do with the window treatment. I want something soft, and I don't want to block very much of the light or the view, though at night we need something for privacy. The big window is 8' wide, for now I'm using a strong bamboo pole as a curtain rod, because it doesn't need to be supported in the middle.  If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I've considered shutters (too severe), blinds (cover too much of the window), bottom up, top down cellular shades (not much character, and lots of cords everywhere) - at this point I'm sort of stuck!! Ideas, anyone? Help!!







Tub is by Kohler, faucet "Tara" by Dornbracht.












I've discovered something very important.  Do you know what keeps peace in a marriage? His and her sinks and bathroom cabinets!! I'm not kidding about that. (There is a cabinet on each side of the sinks. This one is his. Mine is on the other side, and much bigger, naturally!)




I found these cute little lamps at Target, of all places. They fit in perfectly!








Well, there you have it, my little piece of heaven at home - our master bathroom. I love the space, the fixtures, the colors, the finishes  - everything about it, actually. And I know I'm a lucky girl to have such a luxurious bathroom! It really is a calming and restorative space that I never take for granted.  I  truly appreciate it , especially after a hectic day as a space where I can relax and recharge before bedtime, and early in the morning as I prepare for my days activities.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Remember to leave a comment, I read them all and appreciate each one so much. If you have any ideas about those darn curtains, let me hear them!! That project can become a future post!

Until next time,
XO
Heidi

45 comments:

Tammy@InStitches said...

It is absolutely beautiful ! I love the shower and the tub and the glass tiles..... well, I love everything, great job !

sarah { abeachcottage } said...

oooh it is lovely, those tiles, mmm mmmm

sarah

Kammy said...

I love it Heidi - so huge - I think it is about 1/2 the size of my whole home - you lucky duck ! Now I bet you make sure the door is locked when taking a shower, as there isn't a place to hide, LOL !
Kammy

Anna said...

beautiful bathroom! I especially love the tiles

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Heidi,
This is my dream bathroom! When I saw that tub I knew I was in love! I love the colors you used, the tub, the shower, the sinks, the tile, well everything! I do think it's the size of two of my bedrooms, just fabulous! Cindy

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

I love it. The wall color, the beadboard, the accessories, they all just work together to create a beautiful space! Don't be nervouse about painting the window trim - you will be so glad when you do.

Unknown said...

Beautiful results love that tub and where it is palced. mishelle

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Oh My!!!! What a beautiful bathroom. Your artful attention to detail makes the room a joy to behold. I just love the placement of that gorgeous tub with those foaty, billowy curtains. Very fairy-tale!
Yvonne

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow! Beautiful! What a great redo. Thanks for sharing.

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I am way to busy looking at that fab tub to notice any windows, thats the exact tub I want, it is just soooo beautiful..I would go to home depot and look in the magazine area they have designer bathroom mag. with spa like rooms just like this style with lots of styles of window treatments....love that room

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Wonderful, what a change, the sinks are great, the hardware for the tub, the colors, calm and beautiful...and spacious! You must just be thrilled! Enjoy...Janell

Bunny Jean said...

Heidi, this is yummy! The bathtub is to die for! The iridescent tiles are the best!

As far as the window treatment... I like what you have now. It is unexpected and charming!

I always enjoy visiting you... I guess as a fellow designer, I just enjoy your company!!!!

~Bunny Jean~

The House Creative said...

This bathroom is simply amazing! I love it! I only dream of having a bath like this. Fabulous!

Rettabug said...

Heidi, there are some expensive spas that don't have the serene, relaxing look of your beautiful new bathroom! Its lovely & my DH would KILL for your DH's shower. We had a huge walk-in Roman shower stall in our FL home but alas, this Ohio house does not. :-(
He'll kill me if I start talking "remodel" already.
I really enjoyed seeing your transformations.

♥ Rettabug

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Wow, what a wonderful job you've done...it's wonderful!!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my goodness, your bathroom is just wonderful. I love it. Hugs, Marty

Marti @ The Next Fifty Years said...

Wow, do I love that shower! When I saw your before picture, I thought your bathroom was nice, but the after pictures blew me away. Great job.

Nancy said...

Heidi: I do love it. It is such a retreat. Large windows are challenging. Some of the shade manufacturers may have remote controls instead of strings. I think I would try a natural shade in bamboo. (oh, I think I just solved my own master bath window dilemma.)

Wonderful room.

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

Gorgeous! No detail was overlooked!

ImagineCozy said...

What a wonderfully relaxing bathroom! I love th little glass tiles.
-Angela

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Wow! You guys did an amazing job. The shower is beautiful. It's so big with the wall change.

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

One awesome bathroom. ooo.llove the tile-glass trim!!! EVerything is gorgeous!!! I would love the tub!!...but might feel guilty using all the water. I often take baths!!OFTEN!!

GEEEE, I liked the shutter idea--because you can open it all up when you want to. AH well--be intersting to see what you choose.

cindy@cottage instincts said...

Heidi! That bathroom is gorgeous...I'd never leave it. EVER. I painted my kitchen a similar color...love the blue/grey/green of it. Soooo soothing and refreshing at the same time, and goes with just about anything. So glad you reposted this :o)
peace.

Mandy said...

Love it so much. Gorgeous!
I'm jealous :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

So beautiful! I love the color, tile, fixtures, everything! It all ties together so well. It is so light and cheerful. What a wonderful bathroom!

XOXO
Jen

Jenn @ Livin' the Simple Life said...

It's absolutely incredible! I would die for a shower and tub like that!

Cheryl said...

WOW! can a bathroom be beautiful? Your remodel is lovely. I love it all. Everything from the serene color on the wall to all the details you picked out like the fixtures and the tile, etc.
I can't believe you found those great light fixtures at Target of all places. I have been wanting to replace our eighties lights for a while and haven't found anything I like so far that is in our price range.

Kelee Katillac said...

Fabulous Heidi!

Everything about it--the capturing of space...the colors--mosaic tile and beadboard....fixtures....tub......really beautiful.....

You are wonderfully talented and should be sooooooooooo proud of the transformation!

love, kelee

Marianne said...

That is one makeover! Wow what a space, I think our bathroom could fit four times in yours! Love the freestanding tub, that is just divine!

NicNacManiac said...

WOW...this room is spectacular!! You guys did a fabulous job and it must be a joy to spend time is this peacful serene setting!! Charming!

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

that's the same room?!? amazing transformation!

Delightful Dwelling said...

Wow, what a gorgeous bathroom and an amazing makeover! I love everything about it. The tile is beautiful and so it the bathtub, beadboard, mirror, and all the little details.

Rue said...

Gorgeous bathroom remodel Heidi! That tub is fantastic and I love your his and her cabinets :)

The curtains are perfect as is!

rue

Sabrina said...

Great work...what a retreat for you! LOVE the shower.

Cindy said...

Oh my gosh! That is beautiful! I love the irridescent (sp?) tile! That tub is to dye for! Lucky you!!!

So you're just over the hill? We're almost neighbors!

the Schmidts said...

oh wow! That completely puts my little bathroom to shame! :) It is gorgeous... like a spa. I'd never leave. We're going to re-do our 2nd floor (master) bath next year (hopefully) and we would love a large shower like that! I'll bookmark it and reference it when planning that re-do. Gorgeous!

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Wow this is absolutley fabulous and I'm not jealous one little bit :) It's stunning and I can see why you would want a bath every night

Kathy said...

I've just been looking through some of your older posts, Heidi. I love your bathroom re-do! The tub is gorgeous and the window treatment is so pretty. Love the sinks and morrors too. It's all so pretty! Wonderful project.
xo...Kathy

Unknown said...

Good Post.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I admire people who have the patience to take on projects like this. My husband and I are not reno people -- I couldn't stand to wait for things to be completed!

Have you thought about those privacy films you can stick on your window? I've been looking into them for the side windows on my front door and there are some really great designs out there now other than the standard frost look. You could use that. They're sheer enough to see out of, but couple them with sheer curtains like you already have, you'd have great privacy at night.

Amber said...

Great renovation! I'm actually loving what you have for your curtians right now. I think the way they drape looks so soft and relaxing.

Evelyn said...

Your remodel is gorgeous...I'm jealous but getting some good decorating ideas from it. Love the Target light fixtures...they look so Pottery Barn.

A Hint of Home said...

What a gorgeous makeover. Love the tub and window treatments.
The shower is to die for!

Heather said...

Really great job! Your faucet choices, especially, really compliment the room. Where did you find them?

Also - the tiles as cap to the wainscoting is really inspired!

Heather

Anonymous said...

Your new bathroom is charming and relaxing. I love it.
Ewa