Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Year Recapped at Heart and Home

Good morning everyone. It feels good to be back to a routine after a long holiday! I hope everyone had a wonderful break, and that the new year is happy and healthy for you. 

Today I'm joining the party at Rhoda's, (and more, see below!) recapping my favorite projects from 2009. I began Heart and Home at the end of July, and getting this blog started really motivated me to finish my projects much more quickly and start some new ones, because I felt accountable to all of you! So, thank you for that, followers! I really appreciate the kind comments on each post, too. You guys always have nice things to say and it helps when the days get lonely or the weather is gloomy, or I'm just not feeling inspired in some way or another. Before I started this site I had no idea how much I would look forward to sitting down at the computer every day!!

This is the picture from the Heart and Home button, I wonder if any of you have this little angel on your sidebar? (Hey, let me know if you do, I'm curious!)





This was my most challenging project last year, for sure! Getting this blog up and running, figuring out all the stuff that came up, and finding you readers was intimidating at first. But now I'm feeling pretty confident that I know at least 40% of what I need to in order to keep going! Thanks for sticking with me while I worked everything out....(oh, and grab a button if you'd like, it's right there in my sidebar!)



Anyway, to recap the last six months favorite projects:

The famous $12.00 goodwill mirror:
Huge, heavy, gold, scratched, chipped and ugly:



until a quick fix with Krylon and some rubbed on gold paint transformed it:



Hello there!




I rescued two of these stone pillars, and some stone baskets, too, from a friend who was ready to send them to the dump.




Again, they were very ugly and dirty, but nothing the Krylon stone textured paint can't fix!




One of my favorite finds is this old globe in a stand, (check out the price!):


It looks dignified now!
For the whole story you can go here.



My neighbor pulled this weather vane out of a trash heap for me. What a guy.




More Krylon, some elbow grease, and ta-da, here are the results:



I just love this, it adds so much character to our home! Check out the whole story here.



My most practical and desperately needed new-to-us item, the old coffee table
 from goodwill:



Hurray! So much better! If you want to see more, go here.



I recovered the dining room chairs with this fantastic fabric, yay!
(see more dining room here)




By far my favorite project (because I had been putting it off for so long!!):
the pique assiette table




Pretty! There's a complete tutorial right here. Check it out!





So, that about covers everything!  It's nice to have a record of all the things that I've actually managed to finish, in the past I've found it difficult to remember what I've accomplished, and focused more on the things that weren't done yet. That all changed when I started this blog! I'm compiling a list in my head (that I may actually post soon) of all the ideas I have in store for this year.

Looking back, I'm reminded of all the other 80+ posts that I've written, on places seen, favorites treasured, meals prepared, tablescapes enjoyed, and memories shared. If you're new here, welcome! I'd love for you to stay awhile, leave me a comment, and feel free to check out the rest of my site! I hope you'll enjoy yourself, and stay tuned because I'm looking forward to hitting my 100th post very soon!

Until next time,
XO
Heidi

PS. If you are a follower of Heart and Home  XOXOXO to you and many thanks!

Also linked in to DIY Day, 3 or More Tues. and Trash to Treasure Tues. Thanks Kimba, Tam, and Kimm! Also, Thrifty Treasures at Tales from Bloggeriteville. Hi, Leigh!

32 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Heidi~~~

All of your projects are fabulous...some I saw, some I didn't, so it is great to have the opportunity now. You have that gift to see something in a totally different way and that inspires people like me! ;-)

I look forward to another year of your projects!

xoxo
Janie

Unknown said...

WOW...great projects. All wonderful. I love the mirror and the coffee table and, oh, I could go on :)

I'll be watching for your 2010 projects!

Blessings!
Gail

Jane B. said...

Wow...great transformations! I especially love your recovered chair and coffee table. Great job! You should check out my day Frugalicious Friday when you get the chance. It's a great day to link up your fabulous, thrifty finds and Diy transformations!

Stacey said...

Amazing! You are a pro at the projects. :)

Unknown said...

Wow! Your projects are so inspiring, I saw a few I'd like to try! Thanks for linking up.

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Wow Heidi you are so talneted. All that restoration while looking after Mr H & H and your girls and running a home. Where on earth do you find the time?
It has been lovely meeting you this year and i look forward to a lot more chatting in 2010 :0)

Remodelaholic said...

Thanks for your comment, I am so glad I came over! You have been so busy! I can't wait to look through the archives!

And by the way, I am in love with your house, and the surrounding trees etc! (from your header image!) Someday I will live in a place just like it! How lucky you are!

p.s. I just became a follower and would be so happy if you chose to become one for my blog! Thanks!!

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

Still love those chairs and that fabric! Grrrr, been trying to find some around here to no avail. Also love the mirror redo. I don't know how I missed that one. Guess I will be on the hunt for one of those too.

Claudia said...

Heidi, everything is wonderfully done! I especially love the coffee table - I love that color!

xoxo
Claudia

suzyq said...

Heidi, what a year you have had - I am just new to blogging and really loving it. It is so nice to see what others are doing and get inspiration from that.
Suzy

Gail said...

WOW...you've done some great projects. I've enjoyed your blog and your kitchen is beautiful. I've become a follower and I am looking forward to seeing what projects you come up with in 2010.

Have a wonderful day.
Gail

Kathy said...

I love all your projects, Heidi, but that table is just gorgeous - what a difference! Love it!
xo...Kathy

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You have done some great projects in the last year! I had hoped to have accomplished more this last year - maybe this year.:)

Anonymous said...

What great transformations, & finds. My son would love that globe. He collects them, and what a deal you got. Don't you just love Goodwill? Thanks for stopping by to see me.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Heidi,what fun projects for you! Love the revamped mirror & that weathervane is too cute. You've done some magnificent projects in 2009. Thanks for joining the party.

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

Oh that coffee table is great!!!! I love everything you did. It's inspiring me to go check out Goodwill. I've donated but never been inside...kind of sad. Anyway, thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Rue said...

Hi Heidi :)

You are so cute! I love your blog and your projects and I always love my visits here :)

Oh and I grabbed that button!

xoxo,
rue

Marianne said...

Lovely projects. I am not sure what Krylon paint is but you sure know how to work wonders with it.
Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving me your nice comment, it is great to meet you this way.

Kammy said...

Great job Heidi !
You are right , blogging helps some of us (me too) do and finish more :o)
Loved seeing your things !
Kammy

Gypsy aka Tam said...

Heidi,
WOW - what great projects. I love all of them and couldn't pick a favorite. Thank you so much for sharing. You certainly inspire.
Hugs,
Tam

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Wow you have been busy! You have some great finds there! The weather vane is gorgeous and I love your coffee table...amazing!

Dawn said...

What a busy 6 months you've had. You got so much done and it all looks wonderful.
Hugs,
Dawn

Tracy said...

Hello Heidi,
I found you via Leigh's link. I love all your finds! You have quite the knack for restoring and beautifying your pieces. Thanks for sharing...I'm inspired! = )
Tracy

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Great projects!!! I love the fabric on the dining chairs. So that is my favorite project of yours. But the mirror is fabulous too. Oh and the globe. Heck, I love all your projects. I was hoping that my blog would motivate me to do more projects. So far, not so good. But I have decorated more.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Hi Heidi!!!!!
(STANDING "O" and wild applause)
Are you kidding me? What fantastic projects with amazing results, my favorite is that weather vane. You're right, adds so much character to your home! FAbulous!!!!
Thanks, friend, for linking up to Thrifty Thursday on Tales from Bloggeritaville! Great thrifty treasure!

Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

PS featuring you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful projects. Very inspirational and motivating. You've got a great eye for what can be!

Jane said...

You have been one busy lady and really did a great job on all of your projects. Really love them all but the weather vane has to be my favorite.
Jane

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi Heidi!

It was fun to look back at your projects! A lot of awesome redos!

vignette design said...

Great finds and I like what you have done with them. That mirror is gorgeous. --Delores

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That wad a bunch of eye candy!

Treasia Stepp said...

All your projects are wonderful but I adore the mosaic table the most. Just gorgeous.