When we (and when I say we, I mean Mr. H&H-- xoxoxo--) finally got this little guy up and in his place of honor on the garage roof, I felt a great sense of completion, for some reason.
I suppose because I've been wanting a weather vane forever. But all the really nice ones were really nice and expensive, too expensive to justify because even though we've replaced the roof, the rain gutters haven't been put up yet (no completion there, but we'll get around to that, soon).
Anyway, when a neighbor brought me this broken, sad looking little guy, rescued from the trash heap in another neighbor's yard, I was thrilled.
It was just what I'd always wanted, quail and all.
It was old and faded, but sturdy. A few little adjustments were in order, and a little scrubbing and scraping. Then, we got right to work with that Krylon spray paint!! A little copper, a little more black, and there we had it:
Mr. Quail, looking really fine!
The arrow spins freely now, thanks to more elbow grease and loving attention by the Mr., and the directional letters are fresh and clean.