Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Visit to Hungary, at Heart and Home


Hello everyone!
How's it going?
I'm glad you're here,
I truly appreciate your visit.

I've been taking it slow
 in case you haven't noticed.

BUT, anyway...
I'm back and
here it is:  part two of my travelogue:

HUNGARY


   

We left Austria and headed east,
over the border into Hungary.

After jam-packed days spent
exploring the bustling city of Vienna, (see it here)
the peaceful Hungarian countryside was quite a change!

Expansive, green, and serene,
we drove through it for a few hours until we arrived
 in the natural hot-springs area of Sarvar. 



Everywhere I looked was something historic and
interesting to see!
I think it is beautiful, and a bit like stepping back in time.


Churches and ancient structures dot the landscape.
There are even former forts with former moats.
So much has changed here in the last 20 years.
Some of the roads we traveled on were very new,
and there was no record of them
on a map, or the GPS.




But, my husband's keen sense of direction got us to
where we needed to be.
I love being married to an Eagle Scout!

The road less traveled seems to be
in Hungary, on the way to Sarvar.



This was what most of the highways looked like.
No traffic, for miles on end.
The green fields stretched to the horizon in every direction.

We passed through many picturesque and charming small towns,
each with it's own beautiful church tower.



The architecture was very traditional, yet colorful.



 This was just over the border, in the town of Sopron.
It's the home of Soproni beer,
and bakeries with my favorite poppy seed cake.



 It was definitely worth the travel, the jet lag,
the driving and the cold weather,
to have a big piece of this apfel/mohnkuchen.
YUM!

I was a very happy girl.
While my husband worked long hours
an hour away at the factory,
I worked long hours getting massages, pedicures, facials,
and relaxing in the hot springs pools
at the Spirit Hotel in Sarvar.
Don't I look refreshed and revitalized?

Next time, I hope to see Budapest, on the other side of Sarvar.
But, in my opinion, this was the perfect first visit to Hungary!



Thanks for dropping by today.
I hope you enjoyed the sights of the Hungarian countryside!
Leave me a comment and let me know you were here!

Until next time,
xo
Heidi

I'm linking to Outdoor Wednesday, at A Southern Daydreamer
and Good Life Wednesday, at A Beach Cottage.
Thanks Susan and Sarah!

Wednesday Gratitude is on an indefinite hiatus.
Thanks for being patient!

30 comments:

pamq said...

Wow!

I guess I never really thought about what Hungary would look like, but I don't think I would have ever guessed that beautiful!

And that photo of bread!

I LOVE bread.

A lot.

;-)

bj said...

I linked with you on my post today. I'll go remove it. :)

deb said...

Looks spectacular!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your trip. Sounds like you had an enjoyable time.

annies home said...

love their building tops they certianally have an appeal to me of vintage and history how beautiful all your pictures are

Light and Voices said...

I really enjoyed your cyber tour of Hungry. rofl you get to go shopping and to spas while the eagle scout goes to work. Enjoy it! See you next week.
Joyce M

Stephani Cochran said...

Great scenes! We used our GPS on a recent trip and I have to tell you it scared me a few times. I have to wonder if it could get me out of a real jam if I needed it to! Glad to meet you today!

cjvierow said...

Heidi--Thanks so much for sharing your photos. It's most likely the only way I'll be able to "travel" to some of these destinations. So glad you are enjoying yourselves--or self as hubby is mostly working. ;-) CJ

Donnie said...

What a beautiful country. Loved all your photos.

vignette design said...

I've always wanted to go to Hungary. Thanks for the tour! You look very happy and well rested!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Heidi,
Absolutely beautiful photo's! I have never been to Vienna or Hungary, but now I must go see these amazing places. I have looked at the photos twice now..
Have a sweet day. Hugs, Elizabeth

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

You look absolutly happy and refreshed! I would too after all that pampering! Hungary looks beautiful, I love the OLD structures!!!! How was the shopping???LOL!!!! It looks like it was a great trip! XO, Pinky

Allison said...

I enjoyed your photos of Hungary! It's on my list of places to visit one day soon. You look happy and well rested, Heidi!

RedBettySummer said...

Aaaahhh! Thanks for sharing these photos. Your trip sounds like so much fun. For the record, gratitude is never on hold- I'm grateful for whatever you choose to share. Still, no worries as you slowly get back into the routine. Welcome Home!

Kaylia Payne said...

It looks amazing! I love your travel photos!

Gypsy Heart said...

Beautiful photos! I'm so glad you enjoyed the trip and good for you for pampering yourself.

You've certainly been missed but you need to do what you need to do.
Take good care ~

xoxo
Pat

Jemsmom said...

You had me at apfelkuchen!!! Just gorgeous! I have never been to Hungary. Our neighbors just moved there and I would love to plan a trip to go. You do look refreshed and lovely as always! What a wonderful adventure!

Müge said...

An unforgettable trip indeed! Eastern European countries do not figure on the top touristic places in the world but in fact they have a long history and a rich culture. I hope you will see Budapest next time.

Best regards from Istanbul/Turkey,

Apron Senorita said...

Hi Heidi,

Just wishing you best and hope you're having a nice time. Take care and best wishes from warm Central Texas.

Yoli :)

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Wow what a great adventure!Love the pictures. Looks like you all are having a great time.

Anxiety Cause said...

Such lovely photos! I bet you have a great time in Hungary. The places look gorgeous!

EFT Manual said...

Foods in Hungary sure looks delicious! Now my hunger strikes back again!

Denise Marie said...

Heidi, what a wonderful trip. I'd be awe struck by the architecture for sure too.

Ditke said...

I found your blog by chance, but thank you for writing and posting so nice photos of my country.
It really worths visiting. :)
Edit (a hungarian girl living in Spain :) )

MuciFoci said...

Haha, I'd like to join Ditke!

I am a Hungarian living in the UK and quite recently I complained on my blog that tourists just don't want to go to Hungary because the country doesn't spend enough on advertising.

It was fantastic to read your lovely view of my home country. Please please tell many people that Hungary is a fab country to visit, in the summer it is quite warm AND you can take a boat from Vienna to Budapest, so you can link Austria and Hungary easily!!

Keep up the travels and your friendly view of the world.

Katx

You might need google translator but hey> http://mucifoci.blogspot.com/2011/03/orszagimazs.html?showComment=1300281724093#c442102261851637248

Apron Senorita said...

Just dropping in to say hello and hope you have a happy Spring.

yoli :)

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

What a beautiful post and Thank you so much for taking us along! I'm your newest FOLLOWER and I'm hoping you will peek into My Land of BLOG and choose to FOLLOW ME TOO!!!
Have a wonderful week,
Hugs,
Donna

Stacey said...

That sounds like an amazing trip!

Curtains in My Tree said...

That was a wonderful mini trip for me since I will never make it to Hungary .What a treat for you

Alissa said...

So good, so beautiful country, so beautiful building, so beautiful you, so I fllow you.
Thanks for sharing your trip!

Best Wishes
Alissa