Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Carmel, and Wednesday Gratitude #26 at Heart and Home


Hi everyone.


"No one is as capable of gratitude as one who has emerged from the kingdom of night." -Elie Wiesel
I'm back with my new attitude, and just in time for Wednesday Gratitude! Thanks all you lovely lovelies, for the kind words and the support.

I am amazed your willingness to offer insight and guidance, and by your wisdom and humor.
I am grateful for the great fortune of your friendship.
I am taking all your advice to heart.
Thank you!

Yesterday I took my girls for a short drive down the highway, for lunch,  window shopping and a meander down the rustic roads of Carmel.



 I picked out two of my favorite homes, just a block from the beach.

I could have shown you at least 100 more that I'd move into in a heartbeat.
There are so many cozy cottages, and gorgeous haciendas, California ranch style, and modern seaside homes that it's hard to pick a favorite.

We're guessing these two are in the $2.5 - 3 million price range.
At least.

I will take them both.



This park in the middle of town is quiet and green, surrounded by manicured trees and bouganvilla.
It's a sort of escape and a dose of reality compared to the extravagances of the shops in town.


Strolling through the pretty boutiques can take the better part of a day.
And let me tell you, these places are pricey!
Who is spending that kind of money nowadays?
Not me.






It is fun to look, and get ideas, and daydream.
This shop rekindled my dream to get back to my painting one of these days.

One year ago I pulled out my watercolors.
They are still sitting right where I put them.

Because I started Heart and Home that very same week.
And since then I've been spending a lot of time with you ladies!

But I think I should take some time for other pursuits, too.
I used to have dreams about my paintings, when I was painting every day.
I really enjoyed messing around with the colors and compositions, and looking at things in a different way.



Anyway, I also love spending time on the beach on a foggy, hazy day.

We ended our visit to Carmel doing just that.
The beach is right at the end of main street.

This is the Pacific Ocean, and the waves crash on world-famous Pebble Beach.
In the distance you can see more of those multi-million dollar homes that crowd the cliffs along the shore.
Those green patches are the Pebble Beach golf course.
La-dee-dah.



And what do you think of this powdery white sand?
It's totally different from the sand on our beaches on the bay.

Let me tell you, although it doesn't look like much in this picture, it's a good work-out climbing that hill!
Especially after eating Thai noodles and curry for lunch.
Which we did, with gusto.




I'm contemplating my future!
Which looks bright by the way.
I'm getting cheerier every day.



See?
I'm squinty, and almost happy.
I guess a day shopping and walking on the beach was just what I needed.
I'm grateful for the time I spent with my daughters, enjoying a little escape from the everyday routine.
I love taking the time to drive somewhere special with them.
I'm grateful we get along so well, and have fun together, sharing conversations, eating, laughing, and window shopping.

I'm grateful they still want to spend the day with their mom!
And that they think I'm cool, and they will share their shoes and lattes and advice and humor and good natures with me.
I'm very grateful I'm such a lucky girl.

Until next time,
XO
Heidi

Linking to Outdoor Wednesday, at A Southern Daydreamer. Thanks  Susan!


20 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

That first house stole my heart.

Lindy said...

Beautiful houses and I love the fountain with the gold fish...
Great pictures.

Thanks for hosting...
L.

Mary said...

I only visiting Carmel once, briefly several years ago~ it was gorgeous...I could move right in to one of those cottages~ let me pull out my checkbook! Hope you get back to your watercolors :-)

Claudia said...

I visited Carmel in 1994 and fell in love with that charming town. That first house makes my heart go pitter patter!

xo
Claudia

Kelee Katillac said...

Great date with your soul Heidi! Its amazing how much a little day away can shift perspectives. The painting idea is such a good one...can't wait to see them!

Dawn said...

Beautiful! I fell in love with the first house as well but I think I'd settle for a shack to be near the beach!

Ms. Bake-it said...

Great pictures Heidi! Love the first house and the fountain. A day at the beach always clears my mind and leaves me feeling renewed. Sounds like you had a great day with your daughters!

~ Tracy

The Single Nester said...

I love your words and your spirit. I need to quit complaining and be more grateful!

vignette design said...

Glad you are feeling better Heidi. "Almost happy?"
Nothing like a trip to Carmel to put me in the zone! Glad you got to spend time with the girls. Do get out your watercolors again. I think it will make you "really happy!"

black eyed susans kitchen said...

A favorite relative once told me to never go to Carmel, because if I did, I would never leave...it is beautiful!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh, you're lucky to live so close to that beautiful ocean, as you already know! I told myself something similar this week. With blogging, I seldom ever make crafts anymore. Got to get off of here and get something done!
Brenda

Barb said...

Hi Heidi, this is such a lovely post. I will have to join you soon, as I so much believe in being grateful.

Barb ♥

RedBettySummer said...

It took me all day to find a minute to read your post for today, but I did it! Hopefully it's not too late to link up. I love your photos, especially of you. Thank you so much for sharing your day with us. That sand looks so inviting, despite the hazy day.

Allison said...

What a beautiful photo of you, Heidi! Oh, Carmel....one of my favorite spots! I love to go for the day and wander around and drool at the houses, art galleries and boutiques. It is such a quaint little town. I would love to see some of your paintings. I've been toying with learning to paint with watercolors. I paint furniture. So glad you are feeling better and had a lovely day with your daughters. What a special day.

Tracy F. said...

I've been to Carmel twice and have never forgotten those story-book cottages. Great shopping, too!
So glad that things are looking brighter for you.

nannykim said...

Beautiful pics, but you need to get back to painting! YeS, you need to make the time for it!

Heidi said...

I don't have a link this time, but I wanted to tell you that you look beautiful in the pictures. I always feel better when I get outside and breath in some fresh air. Someone once said that if you're 100% happy all the time, then what do you have to look forward to? But I'm really glad you're feeling a better already. Hang in there!
Hugs!!!

Linda said...

I'll take the first house but I won't be chosy...either one would be fine. Carmel is an amazing place but a bit above most people's price range I think. Lovely photos. I'm happy you had a nice day with your girls:)

Charlotte said...

Now you've made me want to go back to Carmel. We spent our honeymoon there 52 years ago and have been back many times since. It is one of our favorite places to visit.
Charlotte

Sonia said...

Heidi,

Your post made me smile...I have taken a picture of that same house (picture #1) and just think that is one of the prettiest houses and gardens! I love Carmel..won't get to visit again until January...but love seeing your photos..can't wait to get back. How blessed you are to live in the area! Have a wonderful weekend!

Miss Bloomers