Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Beach Concerts and Marini's at Heart and Home: Wednesday Gratitude #25

Happy day, welcome back!



"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

I'm thankful for one of the fun perks of living here on the coast, which are the free summer concerts at the beach every Friday night.



The beach in front of the Boardwalk fills up with people for the evening shows. I'm thankful for  people watching, which is at it's very best on Friday nights!




When the sun begins to set, the music begins, and the crowd has a great time singing along to the oldies but goodies.

Greg Kihn, The Tubes, Papa Do Run Run, Eddie Money, The Temptations, Herman's Hermits, Starship, and The English Beat, among others, have all played free concerts at one time or another.



It's fun to put down a blanket, eat a hot dog and some fries, and take a trip down memory lane listening to the music. We usually have to convince the girls that yes, this band really was popular in it's time.

 How did people listen to music way back in the 70's and 80's anyway, before i-pods and CD's?




When the concert ends, we brave the crowd for a trip to Marini's Candy on the Boardwalk.  It's the perfect way to end the evening, if only to window shop.

But, we rarely leave empty handed. 

Just look at all this lovely sugar!!



I'm thankful for Marini's,which has been making popcorn and candy on the beach since 1915. They make delicious Salt Water Taffy, and recently introduced Chocolate Covered Bacon, apparently something the world has been waiting for. 

My husband is a true bacon connoisseur, and he's sure that chocolate and bacon do not belong together. I say, to each his own.

My loyalties waiver between Rocky Road, Candy Apples, and Pecan Turtles. For me, making the right decision takes some serious thought.


After sitting in the cool evening fog watching the band, waiting in line for our candy, and walking back to the car in the dark, I'm thankful it's time to call it a night.




I'm thankful for the evenings we spend scrunched together on our beach blanket listening to the music under the light of the moon, the sound of the waves, the boardwalk rides, and the crowd providing a colorful backdrop to the main event.

Until next time,
XO
Heidi

                        


I'd be happy to have you join Wednesday Gratitude, share whatever makes you happy and makes your heart sing.
Linking up is easy, but please link a post that shares something you are grateful for, and tell us why! Remember to link back to Heart and Home in your post. I will start deleting links that aren't approptiate to the meme to be fair to others. Thanks for understanding!

I'm linking to Outdoor Wednesday, at A Southern Daydreamer. Thanks, Susan!

19 comments:

Allison said...

What a fun post, Heidi! Looks like a nice way to spend an evening. Wish we had soemthing like that in our area. I'm with you on the Pecan Turtles. Great photos!

Pinky said...

Oh you are making me want to be at the beach!!! I have been very lucky this summer as I have gotten to the beach for 2 trips, a week each! I LOVE IT!!!!!!! We are on the EAST coast though. Enjoy the rest of the summer!!! XO, Pinky

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Wonderful pictures and a great post...and so much to be thankful for....

Keetha Broyles said...

Records and Radios, later cassettes.

Spoken from 70's and 80's experience.

LOVE the "zip line-esque" ride.

vignette design said...

I have had this on my list of things to do for a while. My friends have a condo in Santa Cruz and love to go to the Friday night concerts. BTW, tell your husband that my son just made ginger snap cookies with bacon fat! To die for! Thanks for a fun post--loved it my dear! xo Delores

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your evening on the beach. I have to admit those long sleeves would not work here this time of the year - heat index tomorrow 118 the last I heard! Bet you don't have the mosquitoes either!

Donna (Timeless Settings) said...

Wonderful photos, looks like a great day!

Donna

Sandy said...

It would be so nice to have such places to go.. we have the Gulf Beaches and fishing piers but not as fun as this,, and Free Concerts.. who could beat that?
Nice Post!
Sandy

Becky K. said...

This sounds like the most perfect Summer evening!

Becky K.

Reginas Cottage said...

dear heidi,
wonderful post and wonderful photos.
i like licorice,but i have never seen
red wheels before......here we have only black wheels.
have a nice day,
regina

Apron Senorita said...

Hi Heidi,

I LOVE your pictures and thanks for the coastal tour. I also grew up by the coast at South Padre Island in deep south Texas. We didn't have a boardwalk or rides like those in your pictures. But I do remember the summer concerts. It was so much fun! Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

Hope you have a good week. I'm taking time off from work for back to school shopping with the kids, so wish me luck. I'm dreading malls, crowded parking lots, and rude sales clerk.

Yoli :)

The Single Nester said...

How much fun those photos looked! I wish I were there.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Heidi, that looks like so much fun. I would love to see Herman's Hermits in concert. Such great songs are done by them. I only get to experience the beach if we go to one of vacation. How lucky you are to get to experience that regularly.

Gypsy Heart said...

I'm a jealous wreck 'cause you have all that cool air, the beach, etc. ;-) Seriously, beautiful photos and I'm so glad you are able to do these things. Looks like a really fun evening!

xoxo
Pat

Moore Minutes said...

What a beautiful post showing the perfect joys of life! It was so warm and fun. :) It made me instantly want to have a summer night on the beach.

Moore Minutes said...

PS I just linked up for the fun...I'm grateful for fun times in the gorgeous outdoors with my BOYS.

Nancy said...

Hi Heidi,
Just going through some old comments on my wing chair slipcover and see that it looks like I didn't respond to you. I'm sooooooo bad! And yes, I am in CA and I see that you are, too! You are just over the hill from me. Our neighbors have one child left at UCSC and we almost made it over last summer for one of those concerts. They look like fun!
I was just wondering if you ever finished your chiar and got your buttons covered? Would love to see it!
xoxo

Nancy

gena said...

What a great experience - thanks for sharing ! That candy spot looks VERY yummy !!!!!!


I linked up my son's wedding !

gena
www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Heidi,

Love your philosophy about putting a soul into your home and making it a nest of your OWN! Not some magazine page that you just put together; that looks like nobody is 'home'...

Greetings from Georgia,

MariettesBacktoBasics