Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Special Invitation from Heart and Home

Hey there! I’m inviting you all to a party!

Read on for more info….



Sometimes when I can't sleep I think about things like these:...

From what I've seen out there in Blogland many of you are a lot like me, and we all have it pretty good! We live in homes that, while they may not be exactly what we want them to be, are warm and safe -with clean, unlimited water, indoor plumbing, electricity, and a pantry and refrigerator full of good, healthy food (with some favorite junk food stashed on the shelves, too!)

We spend a lot of time thinking about how we want to change things around our homes to please us more, and spend a lot of time and energy working on projects - painting, refinishing, sewing, shopping and just doing things for our homes. We might not spend a lot of money on these projects, yet for most of us the ability to do them - to take care of whatever it is that needs taking care of, is no big deal. We enjoy the hunt, finding the great piece, making the deal, and tackling the project that will make our home speak for us and convey the message we want it to convey. We enjoy turning our houses into homes.



Often, in the mad scramble to fix, improve, clean, replace, and beautify- I become a bit restless. The constant search for, if not perfection then close to perfection, in my home means I take a lot of what I have in my life, and my home in general, for granted. Lately, I've been trying to live in a more "aware" state of mind, to appreciate things, and to live more in the moment. Believe me it's not always easy to stay in a state of grace and gratitude when I have a migraine, or the power is out and it's 52 degrees in the house, or the dog just had an "accident" on the carpet - but I really am trying to stay focused on what's important, and let the rest go...



At the risk of sounding a bit like Pollyanna, (and to celebrate my 100th post and 6 month blogging anniversary!) I'm starting a weekly Wednesday party that celebrates gratitude for our gifts, big or small. Some days it's the little things (like waking up without a headache, for example) that seem really big! Other days, because it's more often the norm, I don't even notice my good health. Likewise, the absence of certain daily comforts and conveniences makes them much more appreciated when they return...(think electricity and running water - totally taken for granted until I have to do without for a day or two!)



In other words, absence really does make the heart grow fonder - for all things, not just a loved one. A favorite food, a comfortable bed, a beloved movie or book, a song from days past, all seem sweeter after their absence from my life for awhile! The trick, I think, is to recognize and appreciate those things on a daily basis, when they are part of the normal routine of my life and things are just humming along smoothly. Noticing the good stuff, instead of always noticing the silly, annoying, irritating things that invariably come along day to day, that's my goal for the day, and the weeks, and the months ahead.



Studies have proven that people who take time to be grateful every day are happier! My guess is that by posting about something I feel grateful for on at least one day a week I will begin to notice the other things more, the rest of the time.




Viewing all the great decorating, do-it-yourself projects, tablescapes, recipes, and outdoor scenery everyone shares here in the blogsphere everyday has become one of my favorite things to do, a new hobby for me! I love participating, and getting inspiration from so many creative people! The gratitude that many of you express daily for your beloved homes, families and friends has motivated me to try something new here at Heart and Home:
I invite you to join me on Wednesdays
 and I look forward to seeing whatever it is that really makes your heart sing and makes you smile! It doesn't matter what it is: it could be a favorite collectible, piece of furniture, website, book, song, view, food, or flower. Say thanks for it, feel your appreciation and the happiness it brings you, and show it to us next week, February 3rd, on the first ever (hope-to-be-weekly) Wednesday Gratitude.  Tell your friends, link in, and show us what you've got!


We can share our gratitude, and get happier, together!

Thank you, Beverly, for Pink Saturday!

Thanks for stopping by,
Until next time,
XO
Heidi

P.S. For a fun look at happiness, go here: http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/
Or read Gretchin Rubin’s bestselling book, "The Happiness Project”


22 comments:

Claudia said...

What a great idea, Heidi! I certainly want to participate - you are so right about being grateful. Can you post a reminder on Tuesday, so I don't forget to take part?

xoxo
Claudia

Keetha Broyles said...

Those little birdies are ADORABLE all perched together like that!

Stacey said...

I just read about The Happiness Project in Reader's Digest. :) I like the idea that we need to remember to be happy about the small things...my coffee, warm bed, etc. Not just vacations and huge things.

I will try to remember to join this party.

Jeanette said...

Count me in, I have so much to be grateful for!

vignette design said...

I love your idea Heidi! I too have been practicing mindfulness, appreciation for the small things, but also being grateful for all I have. Last night my husband said to remember to enjoy what you have, not feel guilty about it, because nothing lasts forever. I am learning to live in the moment. I look forward to participating Wednesday. It will probably be about being grateful that I'm not sick with the flu anymore! Hopefully! --Delores

My name is Riet said...

What a beautiful pink post Heidi. And thankful Wednesday sounds great, I am already participating in 2 memes on Wednesday so I have to see how i do that.
Happy pink saturday

Sonia said...

Love those sweet little birds...I love your perspective for your party...gratitude is always something we should practice! I try to be thankful for what blessings I've been given and with my home try to find repurposes for old things that still have use! After all most of us will never have to face what other's in Haiti or third world countries do on an everyday basis! I love your post!

Miss Bloomers

vintagebejoyful said...

Thanks Heidi!
Your inspiration and thoughtfulness lifted my dreary spirits today, we all need to be more grateful, no matter what the circumstances we need to look at what we have not what we don't! I have enjoyed your blog this last year, and remain your faithful reader....

Tracey

♥Mimi♥ said...

Pink Saturday is such a fun time of the week for me in the wintertime. Michigan winters are not only cold, they are very gray and today is no exception to the rule.

Thank you so much for sharing your blog this Pink Saturday and for making my day brighter and pinker and more fun!☺

I'm in. I'll grab your button to remind me! BTW, with a little gal like Miss Maggie, who could be sad☺

♥Wishing you sunshine surrounded by those you love today, tomorrow and always♥

CC said...

What a sweet post and gorgeous flowers. Happy Pink Saturday,I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Nancy said...

Heidi, that is a wonderful idea. I am going to have to make a list for all the blog gatherings. And, I will put this on it. I am committed to doing a project a day, so will work in my gratitude. The first one will be that I have so much on hand already to work with now! Happy Pink Saturday!

Char said...

Good morning Heidi, I think you have a great idea with the gratitude party. Your blooms are gorgeous by the way, love the birds, Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Jennifer said...

I loved looking at all the lovely White and Pink blooms! I can't wait for Spring to start, so I can see all the beautiful blooms! Thank You for sharing your Pinks!

Have A Great Day!
Happy Pink Saturday!

Jennifer
Livin' With Hoosiers

Gail said...

Hi Heidi. You are so right, now matter how beautiful our surroundings we can become gloomy if we forget to be grateful for what the Lord has given us. You have such a beautiful home and surroundings, but it is not the material things that make us happy, they help, but truly it is what is inside us.
I love you idea for Wednesday and I plan to join in, I need to be reminded everyday how blessed I am.
Happy Pink Saturday (a bit late)
Hugs
Gail

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Heidi...sounds like a great party! Hope I can join in sometime. You are so right about being thankful for what we have...we are all sooooo blessed, more than we ever realize! I feel blessed just to have met you and so many other sweeties here in blogland!
XOXO
Susan

Cindy said...

That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for your email! When I saw your blog banner the other day I was wondering if you lived near me and your email confirmed it!

Isn't this weather great today? I have the windows and doors open! I went to the Santa Cruz Flea Market this morning and it was so beautiful! We need this since it's going to rain all next week!

Rhondi said...

Hi Heidi
This is my first visit to your blog. I do a gratitude post each week which I call Thankful Thursday. Remembering to be thankful or grateful is such a good thing to do!
Hugs, Rhondi

Kelee Katillac said...

Hi Heidi!

I love this post. So WELL said! I agree.....

I will be participating!

looking forward to it with gratitude!

love,kelee

stefanie said...

this sounds wonderful!!

Montse said...

I'm in I feel so grateful for so many things, sometimes my son is too much for me by the end of the day I'm so tired but I thank good that he is healthy and he can run and keep me busy, I'm so blessed that I can stay at home and see him grow.

MJ said...

HEIDI THIS IS A WONDERFUL IDEA...AS HARD AS IT IS I TRY TO DO IT EVERYDAY. BUT I THINK EVERYONE CAN AT LEAST RY IT ON WEDNESDAY! I POSTED YOUR BUTTON ON MY PAGE...I JUST STARTED BLOGGING BUT HOPE TO BE A FABULOUS AS ALL OF YOU LADIES ONE DAY AND LOVE TO SHARE MY FAVORITE BLOGS WITH OTHERS.

Bonnie said...

Heidi, You expressed so beautifully just how I feel about having so much and being so thankful.

My mother-in-law has an expression that her house embraces her when she returns from a trip. I always feel that embrace from my home sweet home when I too return. I thank God for His provision and protection that He gives us.

Isn't it fun to get to know bloggers from all over and enjoy their creativity? Hope to join you soon for Wednesday Gratitude.