Saturday, December 12, 2009

Lovebirds at Heart and Home

The theme of my posts this month: the Holiday transformation here at our home in the Redwoods! . Because I'm so sentimental, almost every ornament on our Christmas tree has a story or memory associated with it.  I've added to our decorations year after year, and am lucky enough to have some favorites from my childhood that I love. But, when asked to share my favorite Christmas decoration, I knew right away what it would be.





No, not the Eiffel towers, though they do remind me of our honeymoon in Europe, our last few wonderful days spent in  Paris.....



No, not the mermaid with the long red hair that is cherished by my first-born mermaid daughter,




...nor the smiling man-in-the-moon, who holds special significance to me as a reminder of  a very wonderful first date....




...and certainly not the sparkly deer, which is much more elegant than the ones that turn my garden into their own personal salad bar every year!



It might be this bee's wax wreath, the last remaining of two dozen that I made years ago, while my newborn baby watched me from the safety of her baby seat on the kitchen counter....



...or this transparent golden butterfly, which represents the thousands of monarchs that migrate to our coastal town every fall.



No, although they are all lovely, not one of those is my very favorite. I didn't even take into consideration all the handmade ones my dear girls have made over the years, because each one holds a special place in my heart, and it would be impossible to choose among those! But rather, it's this one:



It has no sparkles, no shine,  and it's not very fancy. These doves in the basket (or are they lovebirds?) sat on top of the cake at our impromptu wedding party 21 years ago,  a week after Mr. HandH and I got married. We eloped , and this is the only memento I have of our "wedding". (Well, unless you count him, and some grainy photos.)



Every year I carefully unwrap them from their storage box, and place them in a place of honor on our tree.
This is always the first ornament to go up, and the last to come down. (and, like everyone else, we've had our ups and downs, too!!) Each year more and more, to me these birds represent the heart and soul of our home, and the reasons I dedicate so much time and energy baking, shopping and decking the halls:   Love, family, hope, and faith.




My favorite ornament, and my favorite reasons to celebrate!

Thanks, Beverly, for hosting Pink Saturday! For a look at more home trimmings, scroll down, or go here    or here, or for my favorite holiday memory take a look here.  Thank you for stopping by, I hope you'll come back soon!

Until next time,
XO
Heidi

12 comments:

Kammy said...

Hi Heidi !
Very pretty ornaments and stories too !
Kammy

♥Mimi♥ said...

How absolutely and positively WONDERFUL! You know, I ♥ Pink Saturday but when you can pair it with Christmas - my gosh, what could be better? And, you did a marvelous job☺

Loved your post today, just loved it. Wishing you a weekend filled with fun, family and friendship.

Chris said...

Beautiful tree, so filled with memories! I really enjoyed this post. Have very happy Holidays!

GwendolynKay said...

You have so many special ornaments. I love the eifel towers. Pink Blessings!
Gwen

Glenda/MidSouth said...

So many pretty ornaments and with memories attached!
Drop by - I am having a giveaway.

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Love your stories and your tree. I love furniture with a past (story) too.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

CC said...

Hi there Heidi,
I loved your story and all your pretty ornaments. Your tree is just gorgeous and filled with so many sweet memories. Thank you for sharing them with us..Happy Pink Saturday and have a lovely weekend.

Mollye said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww That's great. Good story that your kids will someday tell to theirs as it goes up on their tree. Happy Pink Saturday!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Heidi, your tree is gorgeous. I would have a very difficult time choosing which ornament in your collection was my favorite, although I tend to favor the man in the moon. I can relate to the deer and the salad bar in your garden. Last year they ate all of the leaves off of our newly planted azaleas. I thought they were so cute in the yard until I realized the leaves were gone.

Hope you have the best holiday season ever and a wonderful Pink Saturday.
Sam

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Heidi; Your Christmas decorations are so pretty... Love your tree,, gorgeous.. have a great weekend.

Hugs;
Alaura

Joyce said...

I like your first up and last down ornament. So sweet. It takes me FOREVER to decorate the tree and I should call mine the memory tree. I like to verbally repeat the memory of each ornament and then wonder why my husband hides half way thru decorating the tree:)
Joyce

pinkkandy said...

Heidi
all your Christmas things are so pretty..I am a bit late at looking around...I usually take all week and look at a few at time..Hope week was great
God Bless You
Kandy