Monday, September 13, 2010

Dinner and Gratitude (#30) at Heart and Home

Welcome back!
I'm so glad you're here.

After that walk on the ocean cliffs (go check it out here),
you're just in time for
a hearty ranch house dinner, with margaritas!


"He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has." - Epictetus

It's nothing fancy, but you're always welcome.
Gather around the table set for a casual meal.



It's a lovely, almost crispy Fall-ish early evening.
(still not officially Fall until Sept. 22 at 11:09 PM - according to WikiAnswers)

Autumn-y colored linens, rush chairs, hand-painted rooster plates.
Margarita glasses.
Margaritas.

Well, for some of us anyway.
The rest can drink sparkling limeade.




I'm thankful for spontaneous celebrations.
I'm always thankful for the pleasure of a shared meal.

I'm thankful I can set a pleasant looking table in my own home,
 and serve abundant, tasty, healthy food and drink to my loved ones.



You already know candle light is on my list of things to be thankful for.
And these little polka-dotted votives make me smile!



See what I mean.
They're cute, right?




I'm thankful for the simplicity
of the blue and yellow and white color scheme,
and the ease of choosing
 from among my favorite linens, dishes and flatware.

I love mixing it up with patterns, textures and colors.




I'd rather have a few favorite items that I use regularly,
than an overwhelmingly huge stash of things stuffed in the cupboards.

The exception apparently being my desire
 to own one zillion candles in every shape and color
as long as they are white.

Well, a girl's gotta have a hobby.


Excuse me while I go light the bar-by.
It's almost time to start cooking dinner.

Around here we use real charcoal,
in an old Weber that's been part of the family
 for a very long time.
Not very high-tech, or high-end, or glamorous. 
Kinda like me. 


I'm thankful I don't have to worry about those things
 among the people I love.
And that simple pleasures bring me joy,
every day.

What are the simple things that make you smile?
I'd love to know.

Until next time,
XO
Heidi

Linking to Tabletop Tues. Thanks!


                        


19 comments:

A Southern Rose said...

Everything looks so beautiful. Your home has a warm and cozy feel to me. Such a pretty tablescape.

Jemsmom said...

Just lovely. You had me with the margaritas and then you go and make such a pretty table to boot!

Listening to the belly laughs of my four year old brings a smile to my face every time!

Allison said...

It's beautiful, Heidi. What a cozy and cheerful table. Just lovely! You look like you enjoy entertaining and being a gracious hostess. Our new puppy brings me joy on a daily basis these days. Never a dull moment and he seems to know if I'm having a "moment" to snap me right out of it with one of his antics. That unconditional love is so simple and amazing. Also, my family and good friends bring me joy.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Heidi,

Very 'warm' fall-ish blog!
What are the simple things that make me smile?! Having my husband back home only four days after he got his quadruple bypass! This is celebrating our first week together at home... Life starts over and I'm grateful for the many prayers.

Sunny greetings from Georgia,

MariettesBacktoBasics

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Hi Heidi,
Loved your beautiful blog :)...what a cozy and warm table ! nice colours and great shots!

http://rainbow-thecoloursofindia.blogspot.com/

Warm regards
Sanghamitra.

Lori E said...

Rolling over on a day off and knowing I don't have to get out of bed. Now that feels great.
I will have a margarita, thank you. I can just picture that beautiful green slush in the glasses on your pretty table.

Brenda Pruitt said...

You know, I so love all the great natural light you have coming into your beautiful home. It just makes me smile every time I see it. Oh yes, a girl's gotta have her candles!
Brenda

Unknown said...

So beautiful kitchen! Your table looks so inviting!

Hugs
Charo

Debbiedoos said...

That looked magnificent Heidi. Your kitchen is so pretty, I love your color choices. What awesome rooster dishes too.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Lovely and inviting table!! You are using some of my favorite colors!! LOve the polka dots with the plaid too.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Heidi, this is so pretty and inviting. I love your mix of dishes and colors. That makes it so much more interesting. Your linens are wonderful too. What a lovely and inviting tablescape. I am so thrilled that you linked to TTT. Great inspiration and eye candy. Hugs, Marty

Sue said...

What a pretty table. Those are big margarita glasses...I might not make it through dinner if I had one of those full! Your colors make such a happy table.

Jane said...

Love the table setting - and those precious little polka-dot candle holders! You're always an inspiration to me, Heidi!

Tracy F. said...

Lovely photography of a a beautiful home. So colorful, cozy and warm. Looks like a very happy home!

Apron Senorita said...

Oh Heidi, you caught my eye with those rooster plates. I love them!!! Your tablescape is so warm and inviting.

Yoli :)

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi Heidi!

Everything looks so warm and cozy! What a welcoming table!

Have a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

Lovely! What a pretty table. Love the yellow and blue! :)

Have an awesome week!

~Liz

Gypsy Heart said...

Wish I were there ~ everything looks beautiful and I could use a margarita right now! :-) Sorry I was unable to join in this week...I'm house/dog sitting and don't have access to the computer as much. Wanted to drop in and say hello and that I miss you.

Have a wonderful week!

xoxo
Pat

Kaylia Payne said...

How beautiful! I love how you take pride in setting the table, meals etc. because it really turns a meal into something special!