Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Moonstone Beach and Wednesday Gratitude at Heart and Home



Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.” -Buddha

Today I am dealing
with paper work
and phone calls for a very minor (honest!) traffic snafu.

Daughter #2 woke up sick this morning, again.

My root canal is scheduled for this afternoon.

I am looking out the window at dripping fog and wind.
All in all, kind of a gloomy day!

I'm grateful you are here,
 and that I have Wednesday Gratitude to distract me
as I write this post in the middle of a dreary morning.

Please use Linky below to link up,
 and remember to link back to Heart and Home in your Gratitude post!


This is Cambria-by-the-Sea's Moonstone Beach.
My daughters and I spent a few days exploring the shore,
 and visiting Hearst Castle.
I'll share castle pictures with you in a future post.
Today is perfect for these foggy, dark, ocean images.




It's quite dramatic on the beach here, with the dark sky, and the dark sand.
There is jade and moonstone ( a type of quartz) to be found if you look hard enough.






I brought back pockets-full of rocks to add to my collection.
No sea glass anywhere, though! 



The boardwalk runs the length of Moonstone beach, 
in front of a long row of inns and small hotels. 




In one area the sea lions and seals cover the rocks 
for sunning and sleeping. 




They don't notice us at all, but there are signs warning:
"Please do not pick up Sea Lions".
Who would do that, I wonder?



Fields of wild flowers and beachy vegetation
roll down to the edge of the cliffs. 

 

The local surfers never let the fog or rain stop them
from taking their daily ride!








And I didn't let the weather stop me
 from taking a long walk along the shore. 
Actually, the water is warmer here than at our beaches.
Even with the fog the temperature was pleasant.



I didn't mind getting my chubby toes wet!




I'm thankful for the time I spent with my daughters, 
enjoying each other's company,
and a change of scenery.
I'm thankful that I like the fog!

I'm thankful I have auto insurance.
I'll be thankful when my 3:00 appointment is over and done!

I'm thankful you stopped by!

Oh, and thanks to all of you who left a comment yesterday regarding my Fireplace.
I knew I could count on you for great advice!
I was actually referring to the dark, empty firebox opening,
 not the mantle, which is an antique and I love just the way it is. 
 One of you made a great suggestion,
but today for some reason
 most of the comments on that post have disappeared,
and I can't remember who it was.
Don't know where the comments went,
 but I hope I can retrieve them eventually!
Anyway, thanks again!
Until next time,
XO
Heidi

PS. I'd love for you to join Wednesday Gratitude next time.
And if you're not already, why don't you follow along with
Heart and Home?! The button is in my sidebar!


                        

I'm also linking to Outdoor Wednesday, at A Southern Daydreamer.
Thanks, Susan!



22 comments:

vignette design said...

Hi Heidi,
Love all your pictures from Cambria. Looks like a fun time with your girls.
Sorry about your root canal! Ugh! And the fender bender too. We had one of those this weekend too. Too many cars on the road.
I'm off to catch up on your posts....
xoxo Delores

Blondie's Journal said...

Moonstone Beach looks like a wonderful place to visit...all those sea lions and seals!! Wow!

Sorry about all the downers today. I hope you wake up to sunny skies tomorrow {and NO pain!}

xoxo
Jane

Kathysue said...

Heidi, I love Cambria the little village is so charming. Glad you got to have such a nice time visiting there!! Root canals are NO FUN!! I wish I could soften the blow for you. You have a wonderful attitude and that will help some!! Take care and don't over do today and tomorrow, take it easy, Kathysue

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Nice post! Thanks for sharing your great photos.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Heidi, what wonderful photos of that beach. Looks cold though. Sorry you had to have a root canal. Hope all went well. Blogger was having major comment problems last night and part of today so that is probably what happened to the comments.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

These photos are so wonderful...a perfect day is a day spent with your children!!! Hope your difficult day subsides and turns into some sort of joy!!!

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Beautiful pictures of beach around Cambria. I'm sorry to hear about your root canal...not fun. Tomorrow will be a better day.
The comments on my blog also disappeared late last night and all day today. Very frustrating.
Feel better.

Regina said...

Wow such eautiful scenes and captures Hedi.
Happy Outdoor Wed.
Enjoy a great week.

R e g i n a

Tracy F. said...

What a wonderful visit to your beautiful beach. I have to admit that I'm partial to our Southern beaches, where we don't have to wear jeans and sweaters in the summer. But, we also don't have the fantastic scenery that you do! Hope your root canal was as painless as the one I had recently.

Pinky said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures! I love ANY beach! Hope the root canalo went OK. Hope tomorrow is sunny and bright!!!! XO, Pinky

Shannan Martin said...

Seriously - who WOULD do that? And it is a dream of mine to find a piece of sea glass one day. If only I had more time at a beach for the search!

Seawashed said...

Moonstone beach is gorgeous...it's near Monterey right? I really need to go visit.

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Hi-I am so happy you didn't mean to change the mantle! I love the dark wood and the style of it is gorgeous. I think I would just put several white candles in the firebox. I did that with my firebox and it made a big difference.
Also, blogger had many complaints about the comment problem so hopefully it will be fixed soon. Take care.

Christie said...

How beautiful to see the WEST coast! I live near the EAST coast! Wonderful pictures! Found your site from Vignette Design! I am incredibly blessed and thankful to raise the three little children in the post, 'Dog Days of Summer.' I learn something new everyday and am consantly challenged by their questions! Thank goodness for 'Google! www.threepixielane.blogspot.com

Gemma Wiseman said...

Beautiful walkway to wander by the seas! So atmospheric! I would love these misty worlds!

Reginas Cottage said...

hi heidi,
beautiful pictures from the sea!!!
thanks!
greetings from germany,
regina

kasey said...

I love Cambria and San Simeon..we head there every year {my parents have a place there}.
I especially love SLO!
p.s. feel free to copy the party...

Apron Senorita said...

The beach looks so pretty. I grew up by the coast of South Padre Island, Tx. A sunny beach day is fun but there is something magical about a hazy cool day by the shore. It is mysterious and captivating. I'm glad you enjoyed girl-time with your daughters. Hope you have a good week!

Yoli :)

Kathleen said...

What a fantastic beach! Great photos too! Happy OW.

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Oh Heidi...we used to visit there every so often when we lived in La Jolla! I love it! It is so different than southern California...you almost feel like you are in another state!

I'll trade you the cold and rain for 100% heat and humidity;)!

Your pics are gorgeous!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

looks like an amazing place...some really peaceful pictures...It is so hot and hunid here that going outside takes your breath away. Happy Wednesday

Denise said...

Hi Heidi, just stopping by from Outdoor Wednesday. I love the photos of the beach, always makes me want to go there. I grew up on the East Coast of England and miss being close to the water.
Come say hi
Hugs
Denise