Sunday, May 23, 2010

Weekend in Review, at Heart and Home

Hi Everyone!




This weekend went by too fast, don't you agree?!
I guess it's because we did so many nice, weekend-y things!

First there was a little beach walking (see above) and some communing with nature, care of this fellow:


What a handsome specimen, and so gentle and almost timid.
Pelicans are amazing creatures.
Someday I'll show you the video we took of an entire flock of them,
eating out of the bait shop owner's hand.

Before we walked the beach, we went searching for the perfect vessel for a fountain.

It will be the centerpiece of the meadow we're creating on the side of our property.
I like this one:



And the one down below.
Both are about 4' tall, and will sit in the center of a circular area in the middle of the meadow.



We're still working on the basics of the meadow, and will decide on a fountain later.
Even though I was ready to get going on that part of the project first, before anything else is done.
I wanted to load that first urn right into the back of the car, and head home with it.
Some other people around here (you know who you are!) have different ideas.
Some other people believe you should do things step by step, and follow a plan...
So, no urn for a fountain yet, darn it!!


Other important projects got completed, though!
Step by step, I sewed replacement cushions for the deck dining chairs.
You can see how badly replacements were needed.

before:

Here's what the new ones look like.
Better, right?

after:




They're colorful and very comfy, an ideal combination in my opinion.
This is one of my favorite spots to sit in the late afternoon when I read the daily mail.
Also this is a great place to have breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Which we do whenever the weather permits.



This weekend, I did some of this too.
I was sanding so fast the paparazzi didn't get a clear shot of me!



I was working on this shelf, which you've seen before.
It got primer and a coat of white paint.
It still needs one more coat before it's done, though.
Then we'll move it into the house, and I can get the books off the floor,
out of the baskets,
and out from under tables.




Oh, and before I let another day go by, let me tell you about my PRIZES!!
I won a $50 gift card to Home Goods from our favorite tablescaper, Susan,
Fabulous!
AND, lucky me, this lovely apron came in the mail from my sweet new friend Yoli, at Apron Senorita.
I was the lucky winner in her giveaway.




If you can read backwards you can see it's a PEACE and LOVE apron.
I love wearing it, it makes me feel tres chic!
Thanks, Yoli!

There you have it, the weekend in review!
I'm linking to Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch - thanks, Susan!
Also linking to Blue Monday at Smiling Sally and Make It For Monday at Cottage Instincts. And, to Southern Hospitality's Thrifty Treasures. Thanks!

And hey, if you like what you've seen, leave a comment and, if you're not already,  become a follower.
You'll never miss a single exciting post, and you'll be my new best friend!
Peace and Love!

Until next time
XO
Heidi

24 comments:

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Cute apron! I can't wait to see the shelf when it's painted. I so need shelf space for books! I LOVE your new cushions. Great fabric choice...I always love stripes! Man, I wish there was still and Smith and Hawken open...I was thinking they all closed.
Mr. Pelican was so cute...amazing how close he let you get!

cjvierow said...

Heidi--I agree, the weekends do seem to totally fly by. I'd love to be spending some of them walking the beach--you are so totally blessed!! I agree with you, the first urn is great and will make a great fountain for your meadow. I'm also in agreement with "get it now"--the LH (Loving Husband) is a "planner" so I 'feel your pain' as some say, LOL. You did a super job on the cushions--isn't is fun to spruce something up and have it turn out so nice. Hope you have a wonderful week. CJ

Pamela said...

I adore Pelicans. Saw them for the first time years ago when i went to Florida. Great photo of him!

Andrea said...

I love your posts!

I have an urgent prayer request at arise 2 write.
andrea

Gypsy Heart said...

Great photos again ~ esp of Mr Pelican. They are fascinating! The new cushions look wonderful ~ you are very talented. Now I can't wait to see the bookcase. I need a couple....at least. :-)

Congrats on the giveaways! You received some awesome gifts.

Have a wonder*filled week!

xoxo
Pat

Jemsmom said...

Congratulations on your wins!!! That is awesome. I think you should go back and get urn #1 right now! It is beautiful!! Your cushions look fabulous. I did nothing this weekend. It was fabulous!

suzyq said...

Heidi, Your new cushions look fabulous. Don't you just love it when you change something that simple and it looks so good afterwards!!
I have had a lovely weekend with my cousins - a once a year treat!
Suzy

Sherry@The BarnQuiltStore Blog said...

Heidi,
I have a dog that looks similar to your Maggie...do you know what mix she is?? Ours is a boy, about 10 lbs, & the love of my life! His name is Ace'.
Thanks!

SmilingSally said...

I can't wait to see that fountain when you've finished, Heidi. Happy Blue Monday.

Melissa said...

I love pelicans and you got a handsome shot of that fellow!!

Auntie E said...

Loved the pelican, great shot. Oh those projects keep one busy. Look like it will be a great shelf.
my Blue Monday link for youI'm a newbie to this Meme.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Wow Heidi! you ha a very busy weekend! Lots of fun project going on. The cushions turned out beautiful. that is one of the things n my to do list. Okay, I just signed up as your newest follower. I am hoping some of your energy will flow through the computer to me!!

Have a wonderful day!

Kathleen said...

Lucky you! Have fun at HG!
I want to do cushions for my wicker..got the foam, but I am intimidated to do them myself...Any hints?

My name is Riet said...

Hi Heidi, yes weekends are too short. LOL. There is so much to do in this time of year. have a nice week

All That Glitters said...

Those cushions are too cute! I would also love to be on a beach right now! You lucky dog!!!lol! Girl, you better put your hair up in a clip the nest time you use that sander! Thank you for stopping by!!! You have a lovely blog!
~Jennifer

annies home said...

the picture of the pelican is very cool and the blue vase looks super cool

Teena said...

How handsome is that pelican? I like the blue urns, they're nice. Happy Blue Monday <3

Herbgirl said...

Hi Heidi.....so nice of you to drop by so we could meet. I love your chair redo and the bookcase also. I will be working on a bookcase soon and will be posting about it too. I am your newest follower!
Hugs N Herbal Blessings, Mandy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my place!

First pic... lovely beach.
Second pic??? I was hooked. I have always loved pelicans! Now it is most birds in general.

What a busy weekend!

I'll have to look around your place a bit.
Have a great week,

...Karen

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Love the cushions...and yes the weekend went far too fast...My to do list is longer than ever...Great pictures as always....

Teresa

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Heidi,
Love the urns in the photos. The color is fantastic! I say have a plan, but don't necessarily buy things in order... you have to buy things you love when you see them!
Thanks for the nice comment on my daughter's bedroom reveal!

JEANNE said...

Hello Heidi, thanks for your comment yesterday. I really laughed about the Wonder Woman comment. You are right. It was close to the 4th of July when I bought that outfit.

Your new cushions are beautiful. Good job. I love the colors. What are you sanding? You are one hard worker.

Loved the Pelicans. I too think they are amazing birds. Great photos.

Have a wonderful day.
Hugs, Jeanne

Brenda Pruitt said...

I wish I could walk on a beach. Might make me want to go walking more often. I fell in love with that first blue urn. (Go back and get it while no one around your house is looking.) That would make a seriously beautiful fountain. And the chairs look much better with the new cushions.
Brenda

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hi Heidi~ ~Doesn't it feel good to get so much done. I love crossing things of my To Do List. Yoli's aprons are so sweet and I love yours.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~