Sunday, February 28, 2010

Peace and Love at Heart and Home

Good day to all of you! I hope  you had a nice weekend! We spent a lot of time outside, walking the beach and running errands. I even squeezed a trip to Home Depot into our schedule and picked up a few more drop cloths. I've got another big project coming up that I'll share with you in a few days!
Also, I am so relieved...we replaced some equipment, and the computer problems that have  plagued us since November seem to finally be solved. Hurray, and thank goodness! If I haven't been by to visit in awhile I promise to come by soon. Some sites just would not load, and we were having all sorts of difficulties that should be behind us now. I will keep my fingers crossed!

With some of my away-from-the-computer time  I have managed to get a few things on my list done! Some of you have already seen the  chair with it's new drop cloth slipcover (if not, go here to view). Before I started that I sewed up some faux "Anthropologie style" pillows for my girls as Valentine's gifts. They were fun to make, and I used materials I already had, so they didn't cost me a thing. They were made with scraps and lots of love!

 

I used remnant material from the bedding  I made for daughter number one.
Her room has lavender toile and mattress ticking fabrics
 for the bedding and a draped bed canopy.
 She's my romantic, Jane Austen-loving daughter.
 I thought rosettes would be just the thing for her pillow.


 


I cut strips of fabric and gathered them by hand in the center.

    

A quick zig-zag stitch around the edge helped stop the unraveling you see up there!



I made some rosettes out of leftover t-shirt fabric, too. 
Then I added buttons from the button box for a fun detail.


I just happened to have pillow forms stashed away in the mess in my sewing area.
I can't believe I found them in there.
That is one area that really needs my attention,
but since it's downstairs and behind a closed door,
it gets a lot messier that the rest of the house.
I plan on redoing the space and really improving it
one of these days.
Now I'm just happy when I get it vacuumed!



 The polka-dot fabric is from 13 year old Miss M's room.
She's into everything 60's inspired, and loves the Beatles. 


I thought a peace symbol would be perfect for her,
and used swirly purple fabric on the back.



This represents our favorite quote
 by Richard Starky (aka Ringo Starr):
"Love and Peace, Peace and Love"



It's a perfect sentiment for today.
 I wish it for us, and for all of you, too!


 Thank you for stopping by today. Come back soon!
Remember to feel free to join in on Wednesday Gratitude, just a few days away.
You can post about anything that makes you happy and makes your heart sing!

Until next time,
XO
Heidi
I
I'm linking to It's So Very Creative at It's So Very Cheri,
Make it for Monday at Cottage Instincts

Thanks so much ladies!

16 comments:

Jemsmom said...

Too cute!! I wish I could sew a darn button! That is so awesome and I am sure your girls loved them!

vignette design said...

Hi Heidi,
These pillows are so cute. Sounds like you had fun making them for your girls too.
Glad you got your computer problems sorted out. Thanks for your lovely comment.

Jeanette said...

So very precious. I don't even own a needle and thread.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Heidi, I love those pillows. You are so creative. I need a sewing machine which I will get soon and clean up my bonus room to set it up. Those do look so much like Anthropologie, but look at how much money saved. There stuff is so pricey. Only thing I have bought from them are their dish towels.

Unknown said...

Heidi, your pillows are absolutely adorable! Your creativity is such a huge inspiration. I need to get to crafting!!! I sometimes go for long stretches where I don't create things with my hands because I'm so busy writing (no pun intended), and I start to go a little crazy! Gotta do what we love.
Mary :o)

Gypsy Heart said...

Both pillows are adorable and obviously very appropriate for each daughter. You are so creative! Thanks for sharing ~

xoxo
Pat

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Heidi, I have awarded you a Kreativ Blogger award, come here to get it.

http://bellasrosecottage.blogspot.com/2010/03/kreativ-blogger-award.html

Bella

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Heidi; Your pillows came out so pretty,, love the fabrics you choose for each daughter,,and how well the fit each personality.. I bet they just adore them.. have a great week.

Hugs;
Alaura

vignette design said...

Hi Heidi,
Thanks for the lovely comment. I am trying to put my followers buttons on my sidebar. I'm having a hard time with yours. For some reason, it won't show up. I'll keep trying though.

Es said...

Oh those are so fabulous!! If only I could sew!! Great job!!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Great pillows! I love the peace sign!

Angie Holden said...

My girls would go CRAZY over that peace pillow!!! Where did you copy the peace sign from????

Bon said...

What a brilliant idea! Thanks for the sweet comment! I am loving your blog and fantastic projects~

Bon @ Drab to Fab

Unknown said...

Great pillows. I love the rosettes on the pillow. I just made my first one yesterday and I am thinking of a thousand places I would like to put one. Now I have a thousand and one places to put one! Have a great day!!

anythinggoeshere said...

These all look for springy and so much fun! We in the cold climates appreciate some spring right about now! Love to you from the cold midwest! xo Joan

Kat said...

I love the 60's also (I was born in the Summer of Love '67). Cute pillows!